• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

OEM Continental Conitracs finally worn out!

press 1 for english

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Looking to replace the 51,000 mile 225/70/15s out with 225/75/15 in the next couple of weeks. I don't need heavy 235s or want them....just a good looking tire a fraction taller for pulling a light duty trailer holding 2 Yamaha Waveraiders.
I am debating Uniroyal Liberators, General Grabbers, or Michelin LTX MS tires. All 3 seem to have the same treadwear, traction, and heat ratings. All 3 get great reviews that I found on the internet...of course Michelins were the best rated tire but at $200 more.....something to think about.
All 3 of these have pretty impressive treads.
I know the Liberators are only available at Walmart and I would buy them and have them installed elsewhere, but at $107 per tire, what a deal. I wouldn't trust Walmart or Pep Boys tire installers as far as I can spit.
I don't want Kumhos or any other foreign tires.
Which one of these 3 would you buy or have had experience with.
The BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A Touring tires look like they are just street tires so they are out.

Last edited:

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
If you buy from walmart they generally make you have them installed in house I would suspect. Plu they are probably no better then most of the other tire shops. Atleast in AK that is what I have found, every store I worked for that installed tires had just a incompitent workers as the next.

Tire wise depending on what driving you do I would say the AT2's will give you more loose surface traction and the LTX's will be a quieter running and probably give you slightly better mpg's.

fix_or_repair_daily

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Chevy,Satu
Engine Size
2.3, 5.7, 1.9
Transmission
Manual
Actually, Walmart does not make you have them install them. I bought 2 different sets of tires there and carried them out with me. Then I took them where I used to work and mounted them myself. Probably voids the warranty though.

Josh

press 1 for english

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you buy from walmart they generally make you have them installed in house I would suspect. Plu they are probably no better then most of the other tire shops. Atleast in AK that is what I have found, every store I worked for that installed tires had just a incompitent workers as the next.

Tire wise depending on what driving you do I would say the AT2's will give you more loose surface traction and the LTX's will be a quieter running and probably give you slightly better mpg's.

The smallest new Michelins MS2 and AT2s are 235/75/15 and I just don't want that big a tire. LTX MS are still available in the size I want.
I was at Walmart yesterday buying ammo and I watched a Walmart installer do a rotation and balance. He did not pull off the existing weights and on the tire I saw him rebalance and he added more weight to the inside and out side. Looked like the wheel have half a lb of weight on it....the tires were on a S-10 pickup and not very big.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like your going for the LTX's then? Also the AT2's are still made in a 225 as well (even a 205 and 215).

A 235/75 is only 1/2" and in taller then the 225's and is a much more common size and you can keep them in the P range I believe.

Yeah most places are just as incompitent as that. Up in ak were tire stores thrive I have only seen one that actually removed weights to rebalance and would do either dynamic or static balancing.

fix_or_repair_daily

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Chevy,Satu
Engine Size
2.3, 5.7, 1.9
Transmission
Manual
I noticed that on my neighbor's Escape that has Walmart Liberators on it. It has wheel weights directly across from each other basically cancelling each other out. They were obviously too lazy (or stupid) to take the old weights off before they rebalanced the wheels. Exactly why I took mine and did them myself.

Josh

press 1 for english

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like your going for the LTX's then? Also the AT2's are still made in a 225 as well (even a 205 and 215).

A 235/75 is only 1/2" and in taller then the 225's and is a much more common size and you can keep them in the P range I believe.

Yeah most places are just as incompitent as that. Up in ak were tire stores thrive I have only seen one that actually removed weights to rebalance and would do either dynamic or static balancing.

The 235/75/15s are actually a bit heavier than 225/75/15s but like you said about not much taller. I went to Walmart and bought them and they had to call a manager to approve me carrying them out. Since I am a gold club member at BJ's Wholesale they mounted and balanced the set for $6 per tire. BJ's has a policy of selling ONLY the size tire that is OEM on the door jamb sticker and they wouldn't budge on that overwise I would have special ordered Michelin LTX M/Ss.
One tire took 1.75 ounce total weight and each of the other 3 took only 1.25 ounce total weight.
I am pretty impressed with the look and the ride and for $107 each plus tax and environmental fee, great deal. $25.68 to mount and balance and they even disposed of the used tires....gave the guy $50.00 and said keep the change.
Of course while they were doing the tires I spent $250 in the store.....always happens when you have an hour to kill with a bored wife.:icon_rofl:
Michelin actually owns Uniroyal and BF Goodrich! The last set of BF Goodrich Long Trail T/As had a bad ass tread and it's a shame they changed them to a touring tire for SUVs and Crossovers.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals