• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Odd brake issue

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
86 bronco ii

I went from having very little brake...to no brakes...to decent brakes....and now a stiff as a rock pedal and atleast one...if not both front calipers stuck. I havent messed with them yet either.

I took it for a spin after some tweaking and noticed i had it floored in 5th at 45-50 and was losing speed (i had good brakes when i left,..on a dirt road)...so i hit the clutch and it came to a stop pretty quick. Limped it back home and noticed both front rims were very hot (passenger more so then driver).....and it would not roll at all even on a hill....but i got no pulling of the wheel or anything so it kinda seems both are tied up? Rear drums are cool as a cucumber. Brake warning light is on (but its been on...i think the parking brake pedal thats unhooked dont come totally up)

Lines and hoses are new to pretty new.

Is this a master cylinder issue? Or calipers? Or something else? Never had an issue like this...usually i have brakes or i dont...or one wheel sticks.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Both fronts sticking at the same time probably isn't the slide pins. It sounds like a release or check valve might be clogged/stuck. No signs of water in the Stop juice, right? Water in the break system will swell up the o-rings and any other petroleum based products in the system, causing the symptoms you described. Could aslo be debris or rust particles clogging up the system.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Both fronts sticking at the same time probably isn't the slide pins. It sounds like a release or check valve might be clogged/stuck. No signs of water in the Stop juice, right? Water in the break system will swell up the o-rings and any other petroleum based products in the system, causing the symptoms you described. Could aslo be debris or rust particles clogging up the system.
Fluid looked good in the resivior. It was low initially and i topped off the resivior.

I seen the lines and shit were new but the bleeders on nothing looked messed with so i figured it needed bled initially when it was soft. I kinda figured as the pedal got better (and i added fluid) and moved it around it kinda bled itself but i think i was wrong.

Just curious...would a power booster cause this? I heard a hiss the other day that stopped when i played with the pedal...but now i dont hear that. But i still have power assist

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
It’s something common to both sides on the frint. So I would suspect something with the master cylinder. If opening the bleeders relieves the pressure and allows the calipers to relax, then the calipers are good.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
It’s something common to both sides on the frint. So I would suspect something with the master cylinder. If opening the bleeders relieves the pressure and allows the calipers to relax, then the calipers are good.
Im going to try that next time im out there since i got the engine squared away.

Uncle Gump

Boomers gotta Boom
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Not sure I've ever seen a master do that... but it could. Is the top of the brake pedal sloppy? If the master stuck... slop in tip of pedal.

I'm thinking calipers stuck...

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
check the wheel bearings and make sure they arent loose and binding the calipers. if the vac booster popped seems you would hear it and the fast idle ect....

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
check the wheel bearings and make sure they arent loose and binding the calipers. if the vac booster popped seems you would hear it and the fast idle ect....
Yeah i got no signs of a vacuum leak. Which is why i was puzzled by the hissing i heard the other day. Ill jack it up and see if the hubs wiggle at all once i confirm its not the brakes.

Not sure I've ever seen a master do that... but it could. Is the top of the brake pedal sloppy? If the master stuck... slop in tip of pedal.

I'm thinking calipers stuck...
Doesnt seem to be. Theres like....maybe 1/4-1/2 inch of nothing then the pedal gets rock hard. Would that be enough slop to indicate the master cylinder?

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
i had an issue on my jeep cherokee one time where the brakes were spongy and didn't stop the truck decently. i changed the master cylinder and then the brakes would slowly lock up as i drove around. turned out that the rod from the master to the booster was a hair to long and the booster needed replacing. something went bad in the booster which caused it to slowly apply a little pressure

i was always told to replace the master and booster together, and i have not ever done it, till that jeep. once i replaced them as a unit, i never had trouble with the brakes again.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
i had an issue on my jeep cherokee one time where the brakes were spongy and didn't stop the truck decently. i changed the master cylinder and then the brakes would slowly lock up as i drove around. turned out that the rod from the master to the booster was a hair to long and the booster needed replacing. something went bad in the booster which caused it to slowly apply a little pressure

i was always told to replace the master and booster together, and i have not ever done it, till that jeep. once i replaced them as a unit, i never had trouble with the brakes again.
Hmm.

Maybe i should do both if its not the wheel bearings or calipers. Ive only replaced one booster ever and it was on my 77 F250. The booster wasnt even bad the damn vacuum nipple broke and fell down inside it. Ran the old master though.

Anyhow...ill pry update this thursday or friday (assuming i get the chance to mess with it) with any more questions or findings.

I hate brake stuff.

Uncle Gump

Boomers gotta Boom
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Probably not...

Crack a line loose at the master and if you get a big squirt of fluid... the master is probably holding pressure in the system. If not... look for stuck calipers.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
UPDATE....
Pretty sure its the master cylinder and/or booster.

The pedal only comes up halfway unless you pull it, once the pedal is pulled up you can hear a hiss.

Im just gonna replace both.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
If the booster pushrod is adjusted to long it will lock up the fronts and they will get hot… when it cools down they will unlock. Not sure if that’s even part of your issue but it’s something to check.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If the booster pushrod is adjusted to long it will lock up the fronts and they will get hot… when it cools down they will unlock. Not sure if that’s even part of your issue but it’s something to check.
I didnt know you could adjust the booster pushrod?

Yes thats exactly the issue i had. It was locked up tighter then fort knox, yesterday after i sat for 2 days they were still locked (when i tried to push it) but the pedal was back to mush...but as soon as i started it and moved it under its own power they broke free...and i did many stops with it but couldnt get them to lock again.

But like i said, if you hit the pedal it comes up maybe 1/2 way, stops for a second, comes up a bit more then stops and you have to pull it back up manually...then you hear the hiss from the booster.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
pull the master cylinder off and you will see a pushrod with an end that screws in or out. It’s supposed to be set to a specific length. I don’t recall what that length is but google or a chilton book if you have one would have that info.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals