• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Not a clutch problem.

Dean Voss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B2500
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Liter
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hi, I'm new here. I've been looking at some older threads about shifting problems with a manual trans. My 1999 Mazda B2500 has problems shifting in first and second gear so I brought it to a ford dealer to have them road test the truck. It seems that a lot of people say that it's a problem with the clutch like the dealer told me. I jacked the rear wheels off the ground and checked to see if the clutch was disengaging and held the clutch in on 1st gear and I can spin the drive shaft easily. This tells me that I have an issue with the transmission and not the clutch.

Jazzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Welcome to TRS, Dean!

Have you checked your trans fluid level, and what fluid are you using in it?

Dean Voss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B2500
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Liter
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thank you, Yes,
I've Changed the transmission fluid twice.

Dean Voss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B2500
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Liter
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

Dean Voss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B2500
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Liter
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Mercon V and the fluid was black so I changed it twice.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
Sometimes "testing" it like you did will not actually tell you about a clutch problem, because it gets worse when its hot. My clutch was worn out and starting to de-laminate. It was ok when I first started the truck each morning. but after 10 or so miles of driving, it started getting reeally hard to shift. 1st, almost impossible, 2nd-4th, difficult but rev matching made it possible. However when i did the same test as you, i could also spin the driveshaft just fine because everything was cool when i first did that.

The better test is to get it all hot, come to a stop, clutch in, and leave the stick in 1st. keep holding the clutch down but now give it some gas. If your clutch (/the rest of your clutch system) is ok, your truck should not move at all. If it's starting to de-laminate and "flake apart" when hot, you will feel the truck try to roll a little bit.
in fact this can even cause a rough/too-slow idle if you have the habit of leaving it in gear with the clutch held as you sit at stoplights/etc.
The other thing to rule out, is that the clutch hydraulics are ok. make sure both master and slave cylinder are totally bled of air. the only 2 ways that REALLY work are:
1. taking the master, reservoir, and hydraulic line out of the truck (disconnectd from the slave - push in the white plastic clip really really hard with 2 small flathead drivers while pulling on the line)
Remove the 1 8mm sheet metal screw for reservoir, 2x 13mm bolts for the master, use a screwdriver to take off the neutral safety switch and the clip attaching the pushrod to the pedal, and remove a few 5.5mm screws from under the fender liner to make it loose enough to wiggle the master out of the firewall)
Then bench bleed them with the master cylinder held upside down and the slave connection of the line capped off (heres a good video). Then reinstall all that in the truck, connect the line to the slave, have someone hold the pedal down, open the slave bleeder 1 turn (8mm open end wrench) and pour a full bottle of dot3 through from the reservoir (using some clear tube attached to the bleeder and a clear bottle to watch til the bubbles stop or are at least super fine and sparse). Then close it all up and pump the clutch up 10 or so times.

2. if the system is still /kind of/ working, a vacuum pump with one of those pointy tips shoved down the neck of the clutch resrvoir and pumped for 5-10 minutes until bubbles stop, is the other way.

I just think you should check, since difficulty with 1st gear is a super common sign of problems with the clutch/hydraulic system, like the dealer said. hopfully that is good news. Try the "test" I mentioned and see what happens?

Dean Voss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B2500
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Liter
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I just bought this truck from someone that flipped it. He made $2000 on it. I looked at the clutch any clutch master cylinder.
And there New ish. I went under the truck when it was running and heard. The input Shaft making a noise. So i'm going to pull the transmission.

Dean Voss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B2500
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Liter
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I appreciate your input and.
When I find out the problem I'm going to replace that clutch also with the master. Cylinder and slaves cylinder.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
be sure to do the pilot bearing. it can grab the input shaft and force it to turn when it should not.
that can cause crunching noises while stopped with the pedal depressed.

Dean Voss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B2500
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Liter
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I will so far. The clutch looks like it's got 6000 miles on it.. The?
Pilot bearing looks good. I'm yet to take it out.The noise I think is coming from my input shaft. I'll be taking.
The front bearing Race off the transmission tomorrow.
Worked all day taking that transmission out.. I'm wondering if I could put a gun on the end of the input Shaft. With fluid in the transmission and spin the input shift. With a gun, see if I can mimic the sound.

Dean Voss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B2500
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Liter
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
be sure to do the pilot bearing. it can grab the input shaft and force it to turn when it should not.
that can cause crunching noises while stopped with the pedal depressed.
One question I have for you.
. Should I be able to move the input shift at all? To left right and up-and-down ?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
should be very stable. any movement would be limited to a few thousandths of an inch.
with everything assembled the pilot bearing will hold the end of the input shaft in place.

with that said my 2005 with 373,000+ miles on it most certainly has at least some play in the bearings 'n such
and it works fine.

it's too late now, but did you try matching the revs when shifting? that reduces the work load on the synchros.

Dean Voss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B2500
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Liter
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks for your input but no I didn't. I could down shift into Any gear I wanted to. One thing about this transmission is That the shifter would move a little bit Forward as I accelerated in Each gear.

Dean Voss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B2500
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Liter
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Well, I took the transmission out and rebuilt it plus I added chims in the input shaft. Now the transmission shifts like it's brand new.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals