• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No spark

FritzTKatt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So last year (before I joined the corps) my 4.0 toasted itself. Long story short, everything was good to go, less the fuel in crank case problem... hehe... my buddy was taking care of it, but now it's time to resume control.

Had a new 4.0l from an exploder put in (don't know what year, yet), IIRC with about 80k on it. I spoke to the mechanic that did the swap on the phone, he said that the swap went well, but can't get spark. I don't know how competent or knowledgeable this guy is. Threw a crank sensor, cam sensor, used the ranger intake (it was different?). Says the injectors fire, and it compresses but no spark.

I know the ICM was good, had it tested out, but don't know about the ECM. Could never locate it (seriously). Mech thinks that's the only thing left in the whole spark... I kind of agree with him, the wiring is good, ICM is good, injectors shouldn't fire without crank/cam sensor?

What do ya'll think?

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Makes sense and shouldn't be too expensive to diagnose...as in used ECM or new...not that spendy.

FritzTKatt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, I'm just not sure where to go with it. I'm hoping ADSM has some good input, or maybe he can tell me some stupid little thing that was completely over looked. I'd much rather look a fool on the internet and have a running truck then spend more money, lol.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
The ICM is pretty much a stand alone module. The ECM just controls spark timing.

Check for power and ground at the ICM. (I assume they're there if you have injector pluse, the ICM creates the PIP that the ECM needs to know whe engine RPM, but check anyway. It's grounded through the case and has a separate ign ground from the PCM at pin #4. Batt + at pin #8... Comes from PCM power relay.)
Check for power and ground pulses at coil pack. (4 wires input, red 1 is power, the other 3 are yellow with different tracers from the ICM that fire each channel. I don't remember the tracer colors off the top of my head.)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals