• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No reverse in my 1984 4x4 ranger

84 4x4 ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger 4x4
Transmission
Manual
I was driving my ranger and reverse just disappeared, it's the original 4 speed manual. When shifting it feels like it goes into gear but won't move, sounds like it's in neutral doesn't grind or make any noise. all the forward gears work fine. Did the gear just fall out? Can I fix it or What can I swap in, in place of the current 4 speed t-k manual? It's a 2 liter 4 cylinder crate engine in it.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I haven't taken one of those 4 speeds apart but my guess is it's a roll pin that has sheared off of the shift fork - you may be moving the shifter and feel something but it truly is staying in neutral because the shift fork itself isn't moving. If it's not that, it could be a broken shift fork, missing teeth on the reverse gear itself, shifter issues........... hard to say. My money is on a broken roll pin since you say it just disappeared. Very easy & cheap fix, but you may have to pull the transmission and/or partially disassemble it to fix it unless you can get at it with the pan removed. My guess is you can't but I could be wrong.

What you have now is by far the easiest thing to use but you could swap in an FM-145 or 146 if you can find a 4 cylinder bellhousing for it (though not much of an upgrade) or a 4 cylinder M5OD from '88 and up trucks... those are very hard to find or you can custom build one with parts from 4 cylinder 2wd and V6 4x4 donors. In any case you will be looking at driveshaft length changes, using different clutch/flywheel/starter parts, and more than likely your transfer case shifter will need to be modified.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I’ve got nothing useful to say here except what I told some motorcycle friends a few days ago. Reverse works much better if the vehicle is pointed uphill.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I don't know what your shift fork set looks like but mine (on a 4.0 m5od) has a basic rectangular cover on top, 10 small bolts, and lifts out with forks and all
I had two to tinker with though and you'll only have one, so don't make any alterations you can't undo

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I’ve got nothing useful to say here except what I told some motorcycle friends a few days ago. Reverse works much better if the vehicle is pointed uphill.
I used to have a little 2 stroke motorbike and it would die sometimes climbing hills and I would roll backwards and start it and drive it in reverse a while

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I don't know what your shift fork set looks like but mine (on a 4.0 m5od) has a basic rectangular cover on top, 10 small bolts, and lifts out with forks and all
I had two to tinker with though and you'll only have one, so don't make any alterations you can't undo
I believe they are constructed similar to the Mitsubishi transmissions, in that the shift rails are inside the case rather than in the top cover. Makes working on them a bit more inconvenient. Here's a parts breakdown.... by the look of things, the tailhousing may have to be removed to access them.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I can't figure where those forks go unless it's near the top of the main housing where those two holes are

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals