• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Nice Ride

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
:icon_twisted::icon_twisted: Stealing everything I can use off the Ex!
(Parting-out old Explorer Limited.)

Installed the subwoofer on Saturday, now I got my bass back.

I removed and installed the rear air shocks yesterday. I pulled a main leaf and added one about a foot long and one about two feet long to the main leaf with mounting eyelets. The springs would be a bit too soft, but add 50lbs of air and she rides great! She doesn't kick so bad with the bed empty now, much better.

Now I am motivated to get some softer torsion bars for the front, coil overs are not in the budget yet and this truck has the stiffest "A" springs in it, same as what is under the V8 Ex. Gonna try the pick-n-pull.
Rating at the ground is 2510, 2710 or 2900lbs
Diameter 1.03, 1.06, or 1.09"
Deflection rate in pounds per inch 200, 215, and 235lbs
Spring codes
200 -
215 - "B" code
235 - 1 or A

Last edited:

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Blown:

Are you looking for code "F" is the soft 200lb torsion bar?

Any issues with spring wrap with your leaf spring mod? Or did you install the Explorer any wrap bars?

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Blown:

Are you looking for code "F" is the soft 200lb torsion bar?

Any issues with spring wrap with your leaf spring mod? Or did you install the Explorer any wrap bars?
I hope it works with the "F" bars. They are found on regular cab trucks. I took out the jump seats and do not have any heavy accessories, like a winch, on the front. I think they will be a bit soft without some additional support, but that is the idea. I found "F" torsion bars on Ebay, will have them next week. I also ordered front air shocks to make-up as much of the lost spring rate that I feel I need too. I'll get the shocks on this weekend and hopefully the springs in the following one. I will be at about $350 which is half the price of doing coil overs and I will be able to make simple adjustment via air pressure.

The rear does have a little bit of wrap, but my rig has full time AWD, so with the front pulling the wrap is not as pronounced as on a 2wd. I am going to install the Explorer axle eventually and will include the anti-wrap bars or make my own. I am also going to try to bring over the anti sway bar.

The front hammers the bumps and the rear just follows along quietly, can't wait to try the "F" springs.:icon_thumby:

Last edited:

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ahhhh, I made another adjustment, added a leaf back as the truck settled a bit and I had to run 85lbs in the air shocks to get the ride height and ride I wanted. The shocks max-out at 120lbs. The springs had flattened and travel was limited. Now I am running 40psi with 180lbs of sand bags for snow. Still got a better ride and I can add more air for heavier loads when needed. So the leaves are close to stock Edge springs with the longest leaf removed.

I went to pick-u my Gas Adjustable shocks and they were not adjustable! I found some though, with proper mounting and travel on Summit and think they will work. They fit a Chevy Bel Air. I should have Shocks and Torsion Bars by the end of the week. I am hoping the 200lbs/inch "F" springs are real close, by themselves, as far as just holding the truck up, then I can add air as wanted to get a more soft yet controlled ride overall.

I won't run the "F" springs if they are too soft, I don't want to count upon the air shocks for too much support. I wouldn't want to loose a shock in a corner and not have enough spring left to keep it handling and upright which is likely why they do not sale air adjustable shocks for the front. I did find some pricey air spring shocks which would be like a coil over to replace the torsion bars.

Last edited:

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The F with it!

I got the "F" torsion bars and air shocks installed today, nice ride. I am only running 40lbs, so I would say I got lucky. "B"'s would be too stiff.

Tip: It is easier to get a good swing at the back end of the bars. I was able to knock the bars forward to loosen them and then drove them out from the front. I also hit them with WD40 starting a week ago, a few times (keep yer stinky PB Blaster).

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If I had this to do over again, I would, and not change a thing, now that I got the rear springs correct. I got a 30 mile commute and enjoyed the ride today. I am running the minimum 40lbs in the air shocks and getting a much better ride than stock. I can air-up to haul when I need to and I cannot see spending the cash for brackets and coil-overs. I am into the front end project $250.

These "F" springs would be too soft without some air. The "B" springs would probably be best without air and the "A" bars are probably best with large tires, lift and a winch.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals