• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Newby from NE

Rozann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have an issue or many. I have a 99 Ranger vin V. I loaned my truck to someone and got it back with a cracked block. I got a different engine and I know it is not right. The guy wouldnt give me the vin number just said its a flex fuel and it will work. The motor is in and the truck barely runs. im sorry I guess i forgot this part... 99 ranger 3.0L 6 cyl 4x4 automatic. I put a diagnostics machine on it and keep getting EGR flow valve out of range P01405 and 1408 obviously the pcm is not in sync with this wrong engine oh and a new one P1260 PLEASE HELP

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the forum

In Rangers there was only one version of the 3.0l Vulcan engine, in 1999 Flex fuel model just had larger injectors
So you can't put in the wrong 3.0l engine and it also wouldn't bolt up to transmission
VIN U and V are the same 3.0l engine

But a used engine is a roll of the dice at the best of times :)

EGR system can cause engine not to run well
The EGR sensor code (P1405) means the DPFE sensor's 2 hoses are not both connected to the EGR tube that runs from exhaust manifold to the EGR Valve, check that both hoses are hooked up
P1408 is because of P1405

DPFE sensor looks like this: https://bob-ayers.smugmug.com/photos/124318525_acJom-L.jpg
Not vacuum hose connections, both run to the EGR tube/pipe
That tube looks like this: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/z5UAAOSwexddOiAV/s-l1600.jpg
Has 2 ports for hoses, one larger that the other, DPFE also has 2 hose ports one larger than the other, so that matters

P1260 Theft Detected – Engine Disabled
No start at all with this one
So engine shouldn't run at all
This will go away on its own if engine actually runs

The 3.0l Vulcan engine was used in Rangers from 1991 thru 2008, all years are interchangeable and have a unique bell housing pattern so can't be swapped around with other Ford 3.0ls without transmission swap
1998-2003 Ranger 3.0ls were available as Flex Fuel, had a Fuel type sensor, larger injectors and computer software for the larger injectors 1998-2000, in 2001-2003 Flex fuel, the computer was the same as gas-only because Ford change to a standard size injector and dropped the fuel sensor

So I don't think you have the wrong engine, possibly some of the vacuum lines were not hooked up or wiring
Very common to mis-wire coil pack on these
1 2 3
5 6 4

the 564 often gets mis-wired

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
Wow, that is an odd wiring set up. 123 on top but 564 on bottom. No wonder easy to mess up since tou automatically go 123 - 456

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0 OHV's have the odd coil pack wire order too

Welcome to the forum!

Rozann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
thanks everyone. the egr valve has been replaced throttle body been cleaned dpfe is new still getting egr flow out of range, egr insufficient flow detected, dpfe ckt high voltage when truck runs it is shakey sort of maybe vibrates doesnt sound good smells funny. I just miss my old truck that ran good lol. if I was rich i would take it in to a shop but having been unemployed for a year trying to keep my house it's been tough. I'm working now, but still don't have enough money for the truck because I was so behind on everything (UGH) there was one difference we found with different engine the bolts were different size for the starter. we have searched for something that will tell us what engine is but cant find anything other than the number off the intake manifold that led me to the vulcan

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well VIN V or U will be a 3.0l vulcan

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Torsion Bar Max Crank (Pre-2008)
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
Professional Dingus At Work
Wow, that is an odd wiring set up. 123 on top but 564 on bottom. No wonder easy to mess up since tou automatically go 123 - 456
Don't even start me on that.... It's gotten me twice. Once when I pulled the valve cover off to see if my timing guides were in fact damaged. I eventually figured out why it ran like poo, thought to myself "Why, Ford, why" and told myself not to do that again.

Fast forward two months or so when I get the timing job done, and I do. it. again.

Spent days trying to figure out what I did wrong, if I messed up the timing, etc.

NOPE! I had just swapped the 5 and 6 spark plug leads.

Sigh.... Ford's are great, but also sometimes stupid.

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
4.0 OHV's have the odd coil pack wire order too

Welcome to the forum!
All the V6s in the RBVs have that setup I believe, at least the common 2.9, 3.0, and both 4.0s (OHV and SOHC)

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Firing order on most V6 engines is 1 4 2 5 3 6

Engines are balanced in PAIRS, 4cyl, V6 or V8 all have Matched Pairs, 2 cylinders will be at TDC at the same time
To see what the Match Pairs are you split the firing order in half and put 1 half below the other
So 1 4 2 5 3 6 becomes
1 4 2
5 3 6

Look familiar................
Ford could have left it like that, and in my opinion it would have been better that way, lol
Because its the 5 6 4 that gets miswired, but only because of the 1 2 3, so people ASSUME 4 5 6
If they had to do 1 4 2 then the 5 3 6 wouldn't be a big deal, they are paying attention like on a distributor cap, but even those get miswired :)

A V6 coil pack only has 3 coils in side
So the spark plugs are sparked in pairs, Matched Pairs 1/5, 4/3, 2/6
Ford moved 4/3 to the end coil and 2/6 to the center coil, so they could do
1 2 3
5 6 4

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
I figured it was because of the wasted spark system- I was right it seems. It makes sense, but is also really annoying. They shoulda picked one, either all in order or none in order, none of this “had us in the first half” nonsense.
Oh well. Can’t change simple engine design can we?

Rozann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
so how do the spark plugs go? is this correct? please help. My boyfriend messed them up and the truck shakes and is not right.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals