• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New Tranny or Fixable?

Broosedamoose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31 x 10.5
My credo
Coming in second just makes you the first loser!
New info. I was on the freeway yesterday and I set the Cruise Control at 75 mph. The rest of the way home it ran fine. So today I had to go run an errand and when I was on the freeway it did what it's been doing and I thought about the Cruise Control. I set it at 75 mph again and it didn't act up the rest of the way. On the way back I waited and shortly after reaching driving speed it acted up. I set the Cruise Control and it was fine the rest of the way home! I'm thinking this is operator induced. Maybe just the slightest increase in throttle position causes the tranny to want to shift out of OD. So maybe the TCC solenoid is just weak. It doesn't actually shift though. It's much different than when I turn off the OD. It never did it before so it has to be something in the transmission. Looks like, Tranny Shop, here I come. :pissedoff:

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What you're describing sounds like the convertor unlocking and locking back up. Before you get too involved talk to the installer to make sure he cleared the PCM memory, if not you can do that by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. You'll then need to do a drive cycle for the PCM to relearn. Before even doing that, check the fluid level, it's the cheapest and easiest thing to do.
That's funny. My 2007 Mustang doesn't even have a transmission dip stick. Can't check the fluid level at all.

btw: My mustang did the same as the OPs. Drove it to work one day. When I came out to go home, it wouldn't move when put in gear. My friend Rick, who owns Ace Transmission in Midwest City OK, rebuilt it for me with a brand new torque converter and shift kit, for $2000. I had been having issues with a P0741 code prior to it failing. Code is for Torque Converter Clutch Locked Off.

The torque converter clutch in all three of my Fords, locks up around 40 mph,. no matter which gear it's in. That's a Ranger with 4R44, Mustang with 5R55, and Lightning with a 4R100.

Last edited:

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
That's funny. My 2007 Mustang doesn't even have a transmission dip stick. Can't check the fluid level at all.

btw: My mustang did the same as the OPs. Drove it to work one day. When I came out to go home, it wouldn't move when put in gear. My friend Rick, who owns Ace Transmission in Midwest City OK, rebuilt it for me with a brand new torque converter and shift kit, for $2000. I had been having issues with a P0741 code prior to it failing. Code is for Torque Converter Clutch Locked Off.

The torque converter clutch in all three of my Fords, locks up around 40 mph,. no matter which gear it's in. That's a Ranger with 4R44, Mustang with 5R55, and Lightning with a 4R100.
You can check the fluid, raise it on a lift, remove the plug from the pan, and install the fill tool. With the engine and transmission warm fluid should trickle slowly out of the hole, if it doesn't, it's low. The fill through the pan b/s appeared with the 2002 T Bird, thank Jaguar for that genius idea. On the plus side, it scared Jiffy Lube away.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I know how it's done. It's just a YUGE PITA is all. I had to have the trans rebuilt last year due to a bad torque converter clutch. So I know it's full and it doesn't leak.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
It's cheaper to check it than it is too run it low. Remember Trust but verify?

Broosedamoose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31 x 10.5
My credo
Coming in second just makes you the first loser!
So tranny shop checked everything out and couldn't find anything wrong. One thing he did point out was that while on side roads the tranny is very touchy. Just the slightest increase in TP causes it to down shift. He said I would need to bring it to a tuner to have the values modified in the PCM code. What's strange is, I didn't change the PCM! It's the transmission that's different! He said if it seems to get worse or annoying I could try changing out the TCC solenoid but he doesn't think it's the issue. Gotta love mystery issues!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals