• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New to Rangers

*[M]usicMan*

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello gentlemen (and any ladies, my hats off to you for being a Ranger fan)

I am new to TRS, and new to 4x4'ng in general. Just got my licence, and I am looking at a Ford Ranger (probably in the 2001 on range) to become my main vehicle, that I will own and work on for the rest of my schooling career.

I joined TRS forms to gain insight into what to buy, what to do, what not to do, and really educate myself before I blindly go into buying a vehicle.

So if anyone has any vehicle suggestions, or any suggestions at all, please let me know.

Ryan

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 & 2001
Make / Model
Ford & Dodge
Engine Size
2.3L & 5.9 24v Cummins
Transmission
Automatic
welcome to trs, you will want to go buy a 4x4 no matter what. I'am just letting you know because I learned from my mistakes. Now, from what they tell me on the forum they only make 4x4 in 4.0 on the newer rangers(someone will have to clarify). I myself have the 2.3L though and it makes sense to buy a 4-banger, specially if gas prices go back up you still have a little extra money for whatever you need to buy being a struggling college student. I would also recommend to check www.craigslist.com, or www.race-dezert.com because during these times people are getting rid of some sick shit for cheap to pay the bills.

From what I have learned on here most of "TRS" fanatics recommend not to get K&N filter because it ruins sensitive internal computers yet there are some that argue it. Cheapest thing you can get that will give you performance gains by making the engine run more efficiently is a performance chip.

Give some ideas about what you have in mind for your ranger and ill give you some more suggestions.

bseamop

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
buy a pre 1997 4x4,its not going to have that new car smell but the performance and ease of modification will make it worth it to ya,I have owned both(93 and a 2000)and after wheeling my 2000 for two years I wish I had my 93 back

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
buy a pre 1997 4x4,its not going to have that new car smell but the performance and ease of modification will make it worth it to ya,I have owned both(93 and a 2000)and after wheeling my 2000 for two years I wish I had my 93 back
+1

Look for a low mileage 3rd gen 4x4 ranger in great condition. They are suprizingly plentiful. Being a new driver, I'm guessing you don't have much experience under your belt as far as operating a manual trans... but I HIGHLY suggest learning as the auto trans equipped in the 3rd gen rangers (I'll be nice) suck. The 4x4 3rd gen trucks came equipped with the 2.3L (rare), 3.0L and 4.0L OHV engines. You'll find yourself sitting above a reliable drivetrain with any of these engines and the M50D-R1 (the manual trans).

Search the forums! You will find a generous amount of information. Curious about how different exhausts sound on these trucks? You'll find it. What size tires can you fit? Just a couple clicks away.

When you pick up a truck, be sure to post pictures as we here at TRS enjoy them greatly! Good luck kid!

*[M]usicMan*

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Appreciate the advice.

Until joining TRS forums, I had done some looking and I was thinking about getting a 2001 Ranger XLT, 4.0L, standard transmission, and that was about all I was thinking of. But with the economy how it is, and the fact that 2001 Rangers for sale are all over the price range I am looking at, (bellow $5,000, at max $6,000 is that unrealistic?) I figure I might go for the third gen Rangers. I had been looking at the 2001 because it was aesthetically pleasing to me, but hey, looks aren't everything.

Question on the third gen Rangers, are the differentials strong enough to handle a 302's torque. I had been thinking of dropping a V8 in there, but with gas fluctuating, and the economy, that dream might have to wait.

As for me, I will only buy a standard. I've been driving an 18 speed since I was old enough to see over the dash of my dad's Peterbilt, and have achieved fluidity on the regular stick shifts.

When I get my Ranger, I am thinking about doing a 2-3'' body lift, coupled with a 4-6'' suspension lift, and then throw on a good set of 35'' tires. Depending on finances and how hard I am running the truck, I might beef up the diff's. If this sounds crazy let me know.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Everyone dreams!

The 8.8" axle found behind 4.0L rangers will hold its own against a mild small block. I wouldn't run the smaller 7.5" axle though. Myself, I run a shortened cobra mustang 31 spline 8.8" behind my V8 and it takes the abuse without a hiccup.

If I were you, I'd look for a 4.0L equipped 3rd gen ranger as parts are more available for its drivetrain. The engine has more aftermarket and the 8.8" axle has a lot more options. Do your suspension mods and tires first. THe 4.0L will have the torque so you can still offroad with plenty of power on tap. Regear your axles accordingly, also. When all is done and your only option is to upgrade the power, then do your V8 swap. Its time consuming and if done right will be expensive.

*[M]usicMan*

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I never had an intention to get anything smaller than a 4.0 anyways, no matter the fuel cost I am one for power, and as soon as I can afford it I am dropping a 302 in whatever truck I get.

Quote "Its time consuming and if done right will be expensive."

Isn't anything that is done right expensive?? And of course I couldn't have a cheap hobby!

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome to TRS! Hell I don't even think there are any cheap hobbies left!

Greg and Drew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Amen brother

Nice shot of Danica BTW. The FFR cobra isn't all that shabby either! Talk about a couple of expensive hobbies...

B2 Addict

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
37x12.50-17
Nice shot of Danica BTW. The FFR cobra isn't all that shabby either! Talk about a couple of expensive hobbies...
So, thats who that is!?!? :drool:

I didn't even see the cobra!

Otto

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
*[M]usicMan*, do you play guitar?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals