• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

NEW, IMPROVED RUBBER

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (1½" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 33"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
Hello,
My BroncoII is approximately +210 pounds sprung and +180 unsprung on the 4" suspension lift, my mass not included. It's primary duties are cross country visit to family in Michigan and Florida, daily 175 mi round trip drive to work and back and camp adventures.

It is getting either 32" or 33" Lt or the metric equivalent; it will spend 96% of its existence going 63 mph and 10% of that hauling a modest device to was my dishes in, AKA sleep chamber.

- wear is a top consideration
- wet road handling is a keystone factor

I am open to all thoughts and suggestions, while the following are sets that I'm considering (in no specific order 🙃):

• Buckshot Mudder Lt78-16 bi-ply
• Cooper Discoverer Road and Trail AT
• Savero HT2 GT Radial Adventuro AT3
• Interco TSL SX bi-ply
• Mickey Thompson Baja Legend EXP radial
• Perilli Scorpion radial

I would normally only consider 15" wheels but I happened into a set of 16" Al Ranger wheels that
are pretty light; I have 15×10 Al, 15×8 steel and the 16×7 Ranger's to pick from.

I have spoken face to face with several drivers using the Interco TSL SX in 33×9.5 and 33×13.5 or 12.5 (I forget which) but they reported decent road manners and incomprehensible tire wear; to the tune of 12+ years daily driver use, while still having, the appearance of 80% looking tread. This is very appealing to me and while not important at all...if I selected a tire based on its appearance, it would be these.

I've read a myriad of accounts of the Buckshot Mudder being an absolute BRUTE and just not wearing, like forever and the contrary that if they see pavement and last 20,000 miles to consider myself fortunate 🤷

I'm testing a used set of Savero HT2s to draw my own conclusions. I have no doubt how the Mickey Thompsons will perform except for towing. I am head over heals with the reports/reviews on the Cooper's ability to deal with water on the street.

BRING IT, please .)

Last edited:

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
My credo
ADDENDUM:
It has been brought to my attention that I will be required to use at least 3 Peak Mountain Snowflake (3PMSF) rated tires.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
ADDENDUM:
It has been brought to my attention that I will be required to use at least 3 Peak Mountain Snowflake (3PMSF) rated tires.
BFG A/T

Or

General Grabber ATX.

Both are 3 peakers. I personally love the BFG's. Some guys bitch about the wet handling but personally ive never had an issue. They wear good, and really rule in anything ive ran them in except sticky mud, they like to cake up.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size

I don't know if those fit your snowflake requirements but I know quite a few people that run them and love them and get a lot of mileage with the added bonus of being a really good offroad tire.

Second IMO would be BFG AT's.

I would not even consider a 32" tire, that is a very uncommon size these days. If you want a metric size tire, 285/75/16 and 265/75/16 should be about 33" and 31" respectively....

Interco TSL SX's would be the absolute last tire I'd think about in your situation. Especially on a small rig. You will not appreciate the flat spots that bias plys develop when they sit nor will you like the road noise... and I am willing to bet they will be terrible on wet roads... and I highly doubt you will get a lot of miles out of them. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love SX's but they are an offroad tire and one of the best available IMO... but a highway tire, they are definitely NOT.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I run a set of Dick Cepek Trail Country EXP in 265/75/16 on my pickup. They actually measure at 31.9 inch tall. They're now the Mickey Thompson Baja Legend EXP. In 16 inch wheel... they're E rated truck tires. But I don't find them super stiff and they weigh in at 50lbs each... which is pretty light for a truck tire.

Road noise isn't horrible... until it's time to rotate. They handle good dry or wet but they aren't super great in snow compared to my old tires. They've worn really well and do have a 50k factory warranty. I have about 40k on mine and they look like they could go another 30k.

I like them enough I'll probably buy another set when it's time... but I'm probably gonna jump up to the 305/70/16 that measure 33 inches tall.

20230802_102717.jpg
20230815_175456.jpg

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I can't give specific recommendations, however here's something you may want to consider.

It may be worth having a set of proper winter tires, if you're looking for winter/snow performance. This will let you get more efficient/higher treadwear tires for your all season purposes.

I see you're from Washington state, so forgive me for my ignorance of the climate there, but if you have a proper winter season you wouldn't do wrong to have a specific tire for that season/mountain crossings, as a Northern Canadian who drives cross country all times of year, there are some seasons I wouldn't dare make a 1000km+ journey without a proper winter setup, even if the vehicle is equipped with all terrains.

If the reason you want 3PMSF rated tires is to be able to deal with any weather regardless of your location on a cross country journey regardless of time of year that's a fair use case, just keep in mind 3PMSF rated tires will wear much faster in hotter temperatures, given that part of that rating is from the compounds pliability in low temperatures.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Another to look at is Falken Wildpeak AT3W or AT4W tires. The AT4W is replacing the AT3W. The reviews have been very good on them and they handle standing water better than the BFG KO2 and General Grabber tires due to the tread design.

I love my KO2s but now that the tread has some wear on them, I'm not liking how they handle water during heavy rains so much anymore. Up until now, they have been fantastic in just about every way I've used them.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Both are 3 peakers. I personally love the BFG's. Some guys bitch about the wet handling but personally ive never had an issue. They wear good, and really rule in anything ive ran them in except sticky mud, they like to cake up.
Probably an issue with your fleet but if you have the ponies wheel spin clears them out. :icon_thumby:

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
My credo
@rusty ol ranger , the GT's are on the table; a trusted lifelong friend also holds them in hi regards for wear, noise and road water.

@Shran , I very much appreciate your opposition to the TSL SX. It is amazing how different people that run them feel about them. It ranges from utter life threatening contempt to the live affair of life??? The flat spots are a reality! I find that they roll out in a ½ mile +/-, I accept that for the improved sidewall rigidity. They look the walk, that is for certain!

@Uncle Gump , I very much appreciate this input specific. I have the Mickey's in #1 spot, I really like the assortment Mickey Thompson (MT's) offers. I have had the absolute best experience with Perillis but MT's is banging hard on that door and is much better suited for an off road excursion.

I lived in Illinois, I take it your rig usually sees a decent winter season? I would not know how to drive a truck that looks as nice as yours; that canopy is particularly attractive. Who is the manufacturer, I do not recognize the logo ..)

@bhgl , ironically in the rain shadow of the Olympic mountains we are on the fringe of a natural rain forest but the climate is nearly San Diego -10° F, with typically only 10-17 days a year of any snow whatsoever 🤷, rain on the other hand, precipitation...is supernatural, persistent and often unyielding.

You nailed it though, driving through the passes during the inclement spans, 3PMSF are a requirement.

@sgtsandman , I have read a ton of good reviews about the Falken Wildpeaks of AT4W, almost bought a used set to feel them out... definitely on the radar ..)

Fellas/Ladies (🙆), this is some great feedback, this may be a good thread to include some vital information I have only recently learned regarding matching proper tire size to gears for optimum economy.

To determine the optimum size tires for a 2.9l I used a simple cross multiplication guess which worked. I used the stock tire size and gear ratio that yielded a comfortable 20/25 mpg when the vehicle was new but have recently learned that it does not apply accurately to the 4.0l...then I learned exactly why.

It turns out the rest of the world already knew exactly how to compute the correct size tire to use with a given engine and gear set??? I stumbled on the formula and am now putting it into practice. Ironically, it works out the same for the 2.9l but because the OHV 4.0l's peak torque is at 2400 RPM, the formula is the way to determine the correct tire size for a given gear ratio and engine. It is referred to as the 336 formula and works as follows:

Max Torque RPM × Tire Diameter (in inches)/
Gear Ratio × Final reduction × 336 = vehicle speed

For the purpose of determining the optimum fuel economy using "1" for the final gear reduction instead of the overdrive ratio is recommended.

For the Ford OHV 4.0l, 2,400 RPM is maximum torque RPM, so for this application:

2400 × 33"/
3:73 × 1 × 336 = 63.5 (MPH)

Using 33" rubber, my engine operates at maximum torque, in my humble experience, shifting into OD at this vehicle speed will result in the optimum power plant fuel economy ..). This means that I will be in fact cruising 63.5 MPH @ 1,950ish RPM in OD (a hair lower RPM with a manual because the OD final is lower)...that is where the magic is.

Last edited:

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it
Here's my 2 cents. That's all it's worth too I might add haha.
If your gonna go MTs. Everyone that I ride with swear by the Cooper STT Pros or the BF KM3s. They say they get decent wear and low road noise on the highway for MTs. Now I ran the Mickey Baja Boss for a while. Heavy, loud bit would dang near climb or crawl through anything.

If ATs is your thing. Everyone says Falken Wildpeaks or the Toyo AT3s can't be beat. I have a good buddy that's running the Mickey Baja Legend on his Xterra. They have performed really well. Basically the same tire as Uncle Gump is running. He absolutely loves them and says he will get another set. The KO2s are known for their long life. But even my BF loyal guys say they are horrible in mud. I've never ran them myself but just here them complain. Don't know if that's an issue for you but it's a big issue here in the Sourh East.

Again that's my 2 cents and that's all it's worth.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
@rusty ol ranger , the GT's are on the table; a trusted lifelong friend also holds them in hi regards for wear, noise and road water.

@Shran , I very much appreciate your opposition to the TSL SX. It is amazing how different people that run them feel about them. It ranges from utter life threatening contempt to the live affair of life??? The flat spots are a reality! I find that they roll out in a ½ mile +/-, I accept that for the improved sidewall rigidity. They look the walk, that is for certain!

@Uncle Gump , I very much appreciate this input specific. I have the Mickey's in #1 spot, I really like the assortment Mickey Thompson (MT's) offers. I have had the absolute best experience with Perillis but MT's is banging hard on that door and is much better suited for an off road excursion.

I lived in Illinois, I take it your rig usually sees a decent winter season? I would not know how to drive a truck that looks as nice as yours; that canopy is particularly attractive. Who is the manufacturer, I do not recognize the logo ..)

@bhgl , ironically in the rain shadow of the Olympic mountains we are on the fringe of a natural rain forest but the climate is nearly San Diego -10° F, with typically only 10-17 days a year of any snow whatsoever 🤷, rain on the other hand, precipitation...is supernatural, persistent and often unyielding.

You nailed it though, driving through the passes during the inclement spans, 3PMSF are a requirement.

@sgtsandman , I have read a ton of good reviews about the Falken Wildpeaks of AT4W, almost bought a used set to feel them out... definitely on the radar ..)

Fellas/Ladies (🙆), this is some great feedback, this may be a good thread to include some vital information I have only recently learned regarding matching proper tire size to gears for optimum economy.

To determine the optimum size tires for a 2.9l I used a simple cross multiplication guess which worked. I used the stock tire size and gear ratio that yielded a comfortable 20/25 mpg when the vehicle was new but have recently learned that it does not apply accurately to the 4.0l...then I learned exactly why.

It turns out the rest of the world already knew exactly how to compute the correct size tire to use with a given engine and gear set??? I stumbled on the formula and am now putting it into practice. Ironically, it works out the same for the 2.9l but because the OHV 4.0l's peak torque is at 2400 RPM, the formula is the way to determine the correct tire size for a given gear ratio and engine. It is referred to as the 336 formula and works as follows:

Max Torque RPM × Tire Diameter (in inches)/
Gear Ratio × Final reduction × 336 = vehicle speed

For the purpose of determining the optimum fuel economy using "1" for the final gear reduction instead of the overdrive ratio is recommended.

For the Ford OHV 4.0l, 2,400 RPM is maximum torque RPM, so for this application:

2400 × 33"/
3:73 × 1 × 336 = 63.5 (MPH)

Using 33" rubber, my engine operates at maximum torque, in my humble experience, shifting into OD at this vehicle speed will result in the optimum power plant fuel economy ..). This means that I will be in fact cruising 63.5 MPH @ 1,950ish RPM in OD (a hair lower RPM with a manual because the OD final is lower)...that is where the magic is.
Another thing that throws things off is that the manufacturers changed how they calculate fuel mileage around the year 2,000. The numbers before then were optomistic and few people actually got that mileage. It was done partly to snowball the customer but also to raise their fleet mpg average to make the government more happy.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
bf goodrich k02 do fine here in the mud and sand. as well as any other all-terrain, at least. they do last a long time and the very very few times i have been in snow with them, i didn't have any issues worse than other brands.

and they last. man, those tires wear great. i had them on an 85 isuzu trooper2 in 33" size. they were smooth, long lasting, and quiet enough i never heard them with the windows down.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
bf goodrich k02 do fine here in the mud and sand. as well as any other all-terrain, at least. they do last a long time and the very very few times i have been in snow with them, i didn't have any issues worse than other brands.

and they last. man, those tires wear great. i had them on an 85 isuzu trooper2 in 33" size. they were smooth, long lasting, and quiet enough i never heard them with the windows down.
The BFG's rule the snow. Hands down best tire ive ran in it

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
My personal opinion is that BFG KO2s don’t work well around where I live. They’re really only good as a summer tire. Doesn’t matter if you have the ponies for wheel speed, the sticky mud here just turns them into chocolate doughnuts. I don’t like them. The BFG mud tires are better.

Kenda tires surprised me, my 92 had a virtually brand new set of Kenda muds when I got it. Wore like iron and took everything I threw at them with grace. For a mud tire, I was impressed and I’d consider buying another set.

Cooper makes great tires and their off-brand is Mastercraft where they use the old Cooper tread patterns. I have Mastercraft tires on three of my trucks currently. Virtually unstoppable, mud, snow, rain, they just don’t care and get the job done. I had my F-150 buried to the axles once in nasty mud. Locked in the hubs, put it in low range, gave it a rock and out it came, with a ton of dirt in the bed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals