• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New here

Azure

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Hello, I own a 2001 ford ranger 2.5L and I’m on here looking for cool upgrade ideas and any tips that some of you guys may have on here so I can get my basic car looking and driving a little more on the performance side of things.

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it
Welcome to the group. There are several performance enhancing people in the group. Good luck with your build. Looking forward to seeing what you do.

P.S. we like pictures haha

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
Welcome to the TRS. The geeky side of owning a Ranger starts here.

Have a look through the the Tech section for ideas and how to's for your year and engine.

Performance no matter what direction you go always starts with "Tires". It doesn't matter if you are looking to go offroad, hit up your local track day or just plain better traction for street driving, your biggest jump in performance comes in the type of tires you install. If you are looking for Offroad Performance then a lift will need to come before tires so that the larger tires will fit under it. IF you are looking to daily drive it then tires and lighter rims will come first giving you the ability to hang in the twisty windy curves of back roads. Track days then a light weight set of rims and slicks are the best way to cut lap times or drop your 1/8 - 1/4 mile times.

Stay away from aftermarket Cold Air Intakes (CAI) as the rangers are already designed with a cold air intake from the factory. A high flow filter that fits the air cleaner box is all that is needed to free up the little HP's that you will gain. 2% increase is all that you will gain there and that is at most. Really only noticeable on a Dyno run and not in the seat of your pants. They do add the cool sucking sound of an intake though.

If you are thinking of a turbo or super charger keep in mind that an ECU, injectors and most likely a fuel pump will be needed to accommodate the extra air flow entering the motor. 7-8LBs of boost is usually all the stock internals can take and then not for very long. 5LBs is usually safe for extended periods on stock internals. Now if you have the engine built for boost then that cost big $$$ but then you can really add in the boost.

If 2WD you may want to consider a lowering kit but be cautious here as there are down sides. One major one being some states limit how low you can go and going over bumps like curb access to shopping centers and speed bumps/dips can be problematic when lowering your ride. Adding in some stiffer sway bars helps limit body roll which also helps for a daily driver and all types of tracks.

I personally like to add some spice to my vehicles by customizing the interior and exterior of it. There are way more options on this side of things than the bolt on performance side. Many mods can be done on the cheap here if $$ is an issue. You can also spend a lot of money here also if you so choose. Customizing the exterior is the easiest way to make it stand out in the crowd. Of course if you are looking to race then you may want to consider building a sleeper. A plain jane looking exterior with many go fast parts under the hood and suspension.

It's all up to you, your imagination and the money you are willing to spend.

I hope this info helps you find your own pathway on your build.

Please post pics of your ride! We all love Pics here. It's eye candy and we have a major sweet tooth!!

Last edited:

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s

94_PurpsRange

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
30" all terrain
My credo
Pitter-patter, let’s get at ‘er.
Hey bud!
Welcome to TRS! We are the biggest ranger nerds around haha
Would love to see what you are working with!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals