• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

need to replace ignition switch on 1992 ranger

jthomas194

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l V6 Cologne
Transmission
Manual
i was just wondering what is the best way to replace the ignition switch was.... i know it is held on the the column by 2 nuts, but they are hard to get to... can i just take off the breakaway bracket momentarily to gain access or is that not good.... dont have my haynes manual handy.... also must i remove the actuator rod or can it stay in position.... anyways... just tell me how you replace the ignition switch... thanks

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i was just wondering what is the best way to replace the ignition switch was.... i know it is held on the the column by 2 nuts, but they are hard to get to... can i just take off the breakaway bracket momentarily to gain access or is that not good.... dont have my haynes manual handy.... also must i remove the actuator rod or can it stay in position.... anyways... just tell me how you replace the ignition switch... thanks
Easy job right there. I have found it the easiest to drop the column and set it in the seat to get the job done. You will eed to take the bottom of the dash apart and then there will be 2 15mm nuts that hold the column up. Take those loose and you can see the switch better. Disconnect the harness and take the 10mm nuts off, the actuator bar should stay in place when you do this. Install the switch and reverse your order to reinstall. But before you put the column back up make sure the truck will start and everything operates correctly. If not there are adjustments at the 10mm nuts that are on the column.

jthomas194

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l V6 Cologne
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info... i went ahead and replaced the ignition switch, but now the truck won't start at all... i am able to run through all the other positions such as accessory, off, and on and they all work like they should... however when i go to start nothing happens.... i can jump the starter from the solenoid so i know its not a bad starter... i have a manual tranny, but i dont think its the clutch 3-function switch acting up.... any ideas why it won't start.... thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals