• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need rear shock suggestions

deeman

Reaction score
Make / Model
2008 Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have a 2008 RWD Ranger. I ordered and installed KYB Excel-G shocks Details on shocks about 2 years ago. I use my Ranger to pull a 5x8 landscape trailer which weighs about 2,000lbs with my stuff in it. Anyhow, it's obvious that the rear of my truck looks to be sagging with or without the trailer connected - making me think the rear shocks have failed.

If I test the shocks by pushing the rear of the truck down they don't have the typical bad bounce you see on a vehicle with bad shocks. It's just the rear is sagging and does not seem to be doing much in terms of softening the ride with or without the trailer.

Can you suggest some economical shocks for a more heavy-duty capability? I DO NOT want airbags and could give a f#* about how the truck "looks", it's a work truck and nothing else.

Thanks!

Mike

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Shocks have zero to do with suspension height. If it's sagging... it's all about the leaf springs.

deeman

Reaction score
Make / Model
2008 Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Ahhh, you are right Grumpy. I posted this then did some research and found you are correct. Do you see any option to enhance my current leaf springs or do they need to be replaced?

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You can buy OEM equivalent, which have about 1150 lb rating, or you can buy heavier springs that have about 1600 to 1800 lb ratings. They can be purchased from most of the major online car parts retailers. If you order directly from some of the companies that make the springs you might save a few $$, but watch the shipping. The car part retailers drop ship from the closest distributors. Whereas, you will have to pay more for shipping from a longer distance if your order from a spring manufacturers a thousand miles away.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Depends on what you want to spend.

$25 leaf spring clamps to eek out another year or two

$150 - 250 replacement springs

$500 HD springs and lift shackles

$800 - 2400 Deavers

$2500+ rear 4 - 5 link coulover custom setup

Dealers choice.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Spring replacement will be your best option.

The do make some simple bolt on helper springs that could help get you by. Search the net... many options.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Springs are shot, the Ranger packs stock are on the soft side for actually using the truck like a truck. My first Ranger when I sagged the springs I got some junkyard packs and built a set, using the longest leaves possible for ride quality, I cut the eyes off a main leaf and put it under the main, then another three leaves (5-leaf pack). That worked pretty good until I smashed the truck.

My Choptop I did much the same thing using heavy Explorer leafs to try for some lift which worked, but I’m not entirely happy how it turned out. It works, just think it could be better.

My F-150 I did a 5 leaf pack using F-250 leafs and it’s a stout beast. With a ton in the bed it sits like a stock F-150…

Dad has a set of 1750# rated springs in the shed for his v-8 Ranger when we can get it together.

Air bags would work, but so will springs. All in what you want to do and spend.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Check to see if you have a spring shop or spring and driveshaft shop near you. The one by me sells springs up to 1,250 pounds for the Ford Ranger. The hangers, shackles, and bolts can be got at any auto parts store. The u-bolts can be gotten at either place.

CruznEight

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
For about a hundred bucks you should be able to buy some helper air bags. I bought some for my other vehicle because it sat low as well. The work great and make it ride better.
Screenshot_20210302-140703_Gallery.jpg

deeman

Reaction score
Make / Model
2008 Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
For about a hundred bucks you should be able to buy some helper air bags. I bought some for my other vehicle because it sat low as well. The work great and make it ride better. View attachment 96578
Interesting, thanks for the suggestion! Are you still enjoying and happy with the airbag option?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals