• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need manual tranny for 94 mazda b3000 (interchange?)

kylep123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I need a manual tranny, I have a 94 mazda b3000 3.0 2x4, I need to know what cars I can be on the lookout for to find a tranny that will drop in and fit. Thanks!

if you feel even more helpful this is my current tranny problem (why im swapping it out):

I bought this truck just to get me to school and back, it has a ton of miles and is not in the most pristine shape, but for $2000 I love it. I was driving to school and shifted into 3rd with no response, 4th also reacted the same. The shifter seems to drop into position and will not fall out but will only rev as if it were in neutral. 1st, 2nd, 5th, and Reverse all work fine. I had no other problems with the truck or tranny and drove it around town only when I needed to, with limited gears. I had one instance when the truck would not engage any gears what so ever, like the clutch was out. I thought maybe the brakes had seized up, checked them by pushing the truck in neutral, had no problems moving it then was able to engage 5th. Burned up the clutch a little getting it to move (was in precarious position and was forced to move it) then suddenly I had 1st, 2nd, 5th and reverse again. This is blowing my mind. I'm thinking of just going to the local pick-a-part and pulling a tranny and crossing my fingers that it will work. Any ideas of if what i have now is fixable? if not, any tips on picking a junk yard tranny? additionally what is interchangeable? i have it as 1994 mazda b3000 manual tranny = 1994 ranger= 1991-1993 mazda b3000 tranny.

Thanks!!!
Kyle

Rogue_Wulff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
As far as interchange, any 3.0 ranger or B3000 2wd trans should swap in. It will have to be from a 3.0, as the bellhousing pattern is unique, from what I understand.
I'm not sure what year the 3.0 started showing up in rangers, but 94 was the first year of the Mazda truck being a rebadged ranger. Prior years were actually Mazda built trucks. Mazda did supply the manual trans for rangers and F150's starting around 87-89, so an earlier ranger 3.0 trans should fit your 94 mazda.

As for the problem, it sounds like an internal issue of some sort. Likely repairable, but could be rather costly, particularly if you do not have the skills/tools to do it yourself.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
3-4 shift rail or fork is probably messed up. Probably not a real big deal to fix.
I'd pull the cover and see if anything is visible in there (I'm thinking you might even be able to swap just the top cover (shifter) with another one from any engine M5OD-R1 trans, though I won't swear to it).

The 3.0L first appeared in '91 2WD Rangers and was used thru '09 IIRC. Anything after '97 won't have the port for your speedo gear though.

Last edited:

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
The 3.0L first appeared in '91 2WD Rangers and was used thru '09 IIRC. Anything after '97 won't have the port for your speedo gear though.
It should also be noted that a later transmission could be used since the port for the speedo gear is in the tail housing and with a quick swap of the tail housing and speedo gear the later transmission could be compatible.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Seems like a 3.0 2wd 5spd is a hard tranny to find, any luck?

I have one for $250, its a 98, has 130k mi, and would need the tailshaft swapped for the speedo. South of KC, Mo.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

kylep123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, I ended up grabbing one at pick n pull (self serve junkyard) in CA. I think it was rebuilt because the rubber plugs at the top of the tranny had been replaced with freeze plugs? thought I saw that somewhere as a "to do" if rebuilding.

Thanks

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
That modification is usually done wrong.

Those plugs are supposed to leak, air. They are the vent for the transmission. Leaking fluid is a design flaw on Mazda's part. If you seal the shift rails, it'll blow the shifter seal.

put a barbed fitting in the center plug, then run a hose up to the firewall. Or into the airbox for off-road use.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals