• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help wiring up my electric seats/butt warmers

Daniel C

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok i need some help! I searched all over the forums and could not find anything about how to hook up powerd/electric seats to your ranger. Mines a 1999 single cab. Im trying to figure out what wires go to what. I can get a photo of the wireing harness tomorrow. The seats came out of a 2000 mounty. They are electric butt warmer seats. I dont have to have the butt warmers hooked up but if anyone knows how to do this, this will be very helpfull. Pics would also be helpful. Me and rangerman5148 aka brent is doing this install this weekend. Im just trying to find some helpfull tips on this. Thanks in advance.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well I don't believe that any rangers ever came with or had the option of factory heated seats so you are going to be doing your own fabbing. It isn't too hard. What you need is 2 relays and fusable links, A couple switchs and wire (preferably different colors for ease.)

What you do to hook up the relays would be to run power wires from the heated seats power wire and find a ground in the cab for the ground side. Run the wires to the relay (pin 87, one per relay). Then next is to hook up the switchs so that they only come on when the ignition is on.

Find a place for your switches that you like, 2 switches (one for each side, unless you just want them both to come on with one switch) Then start at the relays, run a wire from each relay (pin 86) to the accessory out pin on the switches then on the power in you need a source of power thats only on when the ignition (or even accessory too) Like the radio ignition power wire, Its red on aftermarket HU harnesses. It takes basically no power so don't worry and if they burn out it won't pop your radio (thats what fuses are for). I would use one of these:

and run one wire to each switch. And then Run grounds from (pin 85) and the switches if you opted for light up switches. Then All you have to do is run Fusable links or fused wires directly from the battery to the relays (pin 30) I think a 20 amp fuse would be fine maybe bigger...?

And there you have heated seats that will come on at the flick of a switch and only come on when the key is in ignition or accessory.:icon_thumby:

For reference you can always just go to this page... I just thought I would discribe it. http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/relays.html

Its basically the same but you just use 2 single relays and hook the accessory power to an ignition on only wire.

Edit: I can get you a pic of a KC light harness which is basically what you are looking to do.

Daniel C

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok thanks for this great information. I will go to Oreillys and get a switch set and mount them in my explorer console above the cupholders, there is a little hole that runs up the console i can just put a peice of steal or something behind it and paint it. And mount my switches there.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals