• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Need help w/ trouble codes- 1990 2.3L Ranger

KasenLeigh90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
1990 Ford Ranger 2.3L (fuel injected 8 plug) Reg Cab 5 spd manual
Truck started to run rough out of no where about a week ago. Ran a KOEO and got the following: 41, 63, 34
Half the time on start up (especially in the mornings) it struggles to stay running. The other half of the time it will fire right up immediately and run perfect with no MIL for about 3 seconds, then itll start to die or bog down and rev up again over and over and the MIL will show up and stay there. Im not a great mechanic, id say im still in the apprentice level of knowledge. What should I be looking for that would cause these codes? Below are a list of parts ive replaced over the last year. Some were replaced because the parts themselves were bad, others were replaced because this is my project truck and i figured after 30+ years itd be smart to replace them anyway.
- All 8 spark plugs and wires.
- Both coils
- DIS module
- Air charge sensor
- Coolant temp sensors ( both of them)
- egr sensor, gasket
- intake manifold gasket
- throttle body gasket
- MAP sensor (not MAF, this truck doesnt have one)
I think thats all but ill add more or comment if i remember any other parts.
Idk what it is but my brain struggles to comprehend this, and its driving me nuts. The truck itself sits at about 164k miles but the motor has less than 100k.
TIA

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Code 41, oxygen sensor is reading lean.

Code 63, throttle position sensor is reading low

Code 34, EGR sensor voltage is low.

The throttle position sensor code interests me more than the others. The guy in the book says to unplug the throttle position sensor elec connector, and then take a short wire and jump the orange and the darkgreen/lightgreen wire. Then repeat the key on engine off code test. With those wires jumped, you should then get a code 53. If you do, then you need to replace the throttle position sensor. If you do not get a code 53 with those two wires jumpered, then you might have a wiring problem with the throttle position sensor to the computer.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals