• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need advice on rebuild/reman

ford4thot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi guys been awhile since I've been around here. Sold my 2011 Ranger and bought an F-150 a while back. Traded that off for something else but...

I recently bought a 1992 Ranger extended cab two wheel drive with a manual transmission and a 4.0 V6 engine. I actually got taken on Craigslist this thing is a total POS.

According to the sellers it was their baby, they had maintenance records, blah blah blah.
I'm not familiar with old beater trucks so the test drive seemed ok. I was hesitant but my girlfriend was cranky and tired and said just buy it so I did. Drove it 2 hours home at 70 miles per hour and when I got home and checked it out I found out there was no transmission oil

The truck has a ton of issues but right now I'm pulling the transmission which is a m5od - R1. I plan on a complete rebuild of this truck, I want to keep it forever.

I can get a brand new Trans for about $1,000. But that eats up a ton of budget. I've never rebuilt a transmission, but I'm considering trying to on this one.

Rebuild kit without the input and output shafts are less than $200. I haven't opened up the transmission yet to check the shafts I'm hoping they are okay.

I'm pretty handy and I do have some time on my hands.

Sorry for the long post. But what I would like to know is what you guys would do. Is rebuilding this transmission tricky? Do I need any specialized tools?

If any of you have done this or are subscribed to threads pertaining to rebuilding this particular transmission, please post up and help a brother out

Thanks guys

So disgusting. From what I've read I'm guessing the plugs on the top of the transmission blew out and let the oil spray everywhere

Last edited:

ford4thot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well scratch all of that. I'm just going to replace the rubber plugs up top with metal ones, replace the rear boot where the drive shaft connects. Replace the slave cylinder while I'm in there. I'm going to leave it at that for now and focus money elsewhere. That was the transmission shops recommendation.

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sharp truck, btw. Good luck with her, and may she do you well. Outside looks good, mechanical is just money and time spent turning wrenches. Feel blessed it doesn't need paint!

Felt like I got taken almost 2 years ago...but 4 major snow storms, a bunch of it working like a truck, and not really any money to speak of later...the love affair continues. :) Gas mileage sucks...equal to same year fullsize...but soooooo easy to park/maneuver. And it has yet (knock on wood) to leave me stranded.

ford4thot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks jeremysdad. I did get the pump and immediately put oil in. Clutch is shot so I had to pull trans anyway.
I might crack it open while it's out, but scared to try rebuild myself.
Looks better in pics...used to be maroon but someone did a horrible paint job over rust and I'm assuming some bondo...

I didn't overpay, but was lied to about condition.
Thanks, I love the square bodies! It'll be a long term project with lofty goals!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ive never attempted a rebuild on an m5od either but i heard they are easier than some trans like the zf5. I would just watch alot of videos about it even if they arent an m5od, take your time and have patience. Then when its all together and works you can take pride that you took on the challenge.

Sent from the wrong side of town using Tapatalk

ford4thot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well...found a shard.

But looks super clean and I can't see anything broken. The forks have a small bit of grooving but I don't think I'm going to mess with it. I'm going to seal it back up then open the rear end and seal that back up after I put a new rear seal in it. Going to put a new slave cylinder and it and call it good. I bought a Hurst short throw shifter for it too

Got a $400 clutch for $100 on eBay too so I scored

ford4thot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Just to update, when I pulled the transmission rear part off, I found the rest of the metal shard.

Figured out it was from this

It was damaged and I believe it fell in when I was removing the shifter. So I've already got the trans back in and if I can remember I will report back after I throw it through the gears. Going to be a little while though, I have tons of work to do on my truck before it gets back down on the ground

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Do keep us posted. Glad the shard wasn't something horribly broken. :)

ford4thot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Do keep us posted. Glad the shard wasn't something horribly broken. :)
Will do. Me too..... I almost threw $1,000 at a new transmission.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals