• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Navigation on an Android Tablet

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I bought a magellan off road gps that has 2d, 3d, and satellite imaging. The 3d feature is awesome.

I bought it for no cell service situations.

During some quick pre-purchase research on whether or not buying an actual GPS was worth it I read a bit on how the antenna in the real GPS is going to be much stronger than the antenna in a phone. That coupled with the fact that phones get bounced around/dropped, and all the internals (like the GPS antenna) are held on by a minuscule amount of solder applied by a 10 year old chinese child I felt a lot better (potentially) trusting my life to a "real" GPS.

My only problem with it is it has a 7" screen, and there's no good spot to put the thing without a mildly annoying obstruction of view lol.

You should go all out and get the garmin overlander, that thing looks sweet. Too rich for my blood though, I had to get the poor man's version.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I've been avoiding looking at some of the better GPS units... I know I will want one. Just not in the cards right now.

I have the tablet already... I think all I will be out is the $40 stand I dropped in my shopping cart... and lots of free apps to play with. Will give me something to play with at least.

Weasel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Transmission
Automatic
I have an Atoto Android head unit. I'll be moving it into the truck from my Elantra. I had picked it up at an auction to test how well it worked being that it was one of those Chinese companies that put out inexpensive units. I've been pleasantly surprised by it. I'm not an audiophile, so I cannot really say whether or not it has "good" sound. I mean, I like the sound so I suppose that that is really what counts. It will run almost any Android app and does GPS with which app you choose. I stick mostly with Google or sometimes Waze. You will need to share out your phone's data, though they do have some cell ready versions. I do have to get a new MP3 app. The one that comes with the stereo, while decent, has some issues. It'll play music from a USB drive or movies if you'd like.

Initially, it takes a while to boot up, but after that boot time is pretty quick, a few seconds and is actually quicker than the Pioneer I had in there previously. It can take a while for some apps to load. There is an optional backup camera and a dash-cam. The dash-cam is so-so from what I've heard.

I know there are many Apple Carplay and Android Auto options, but I didn't want to have to remember to plug in my phone or wait for it to connect for the usability.

There are other options such as Pumpkin or Eincar, but I don't really know much about those ones.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals