• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

my drag racing 302 swap

2fast4you

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
ford
Transmission
Automatic
as most know from the " old" forum, i am in too drag racing... i got a new ranger and its a 1983 with a V6 2.8, out came that motor the night i got it lol... i'm putting in a 302 and this is my first swap to a larger motor, the 302/c4 is a 1985 version ( dont know what it came from)

1. what motor mounts can i use?? dont care if there solid, i prefer solid mounts anyways

2. how can i make the rear sump oil pan work?

3. on cam choice, the 302 has stock hads for now ( E7 heads) max lift on those are .512.. what is the biggest roughest idle sounding cam i can use?

4. the tranny crossmember, do you have to fab your own?

5. i want some 90/10 struts for the front, where can i find them? i've looked at jegs and summit and cant find anything

6. i'm running 26 tall tire, are 3.73's perfect for thd 1320 ( 1/4 mile)

sorry for all the questions, i've been trying to figure all this out and my car club has been helping the most, i just like getting everybody's opinion and well this is a ranger forum and by god, i love my ranger :yahoo:

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Make sure you dont get too big of a cam. you should be able to get something with a duration around 230@.05 lift.

Much bigger will probably hurt your cause more than help.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
Remember to match the torque converter to the cam. Check the tech articles, you can make some cheap mounts using 2.9L lower mounts and 0.25in. steel plate. Make a torque link and you'll be fine. You can use the stock trans crossmember but you will most likely have to move it. You are looking for 90/10 shocks I can assume. I do remember at one point seeing them in Jegs, I will have to look, or call them they can find them for you. As far as tires and gears, if you can manage 100mph in the 1/4 that will put you around 4650 on the tach.

Matt

847b

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
1) I made my own motor mounts from some 8" long pieces of 2.5" angle steel with 1/4" plate welded to form a triangular cross section. I used 1/2" fine threaded, grade 8 bolts as studs. This allowed me to use the factory holes in the frame to hold my 351W. I took some "energy suspension" polyurethane pieces and to take the harsh vibration out and to set the engine at a nice height. These were cheap and strong. I put pictures in one of the 351 swap threads.

4) In my '83, I was able to use the stock trans crossmeber in the stock location.

6)I'm running 28" tall tires with 3.89s and turning about 5300 rpm. 3.73 should be a great starting point.

2fast4you

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
ford
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for all the info guys... i got my motor and tranny last sat.. its came from a 1985 lincon town car.. motor is in decent shape but will need a rebuild, theres alot of sludge in the oil pan.. heads are in decent shape, nothing a valve job cant fix easily... crank needs to be turned due to some marks on it, the crank bearins show some signs of over heating... going to take it to the machine shop to get it cleaned, cranked looked at and new bearings and freeze plugs in it, get it back and in goes new cam and valve springs and piston rings and then its time for fun :yahoo::yahoo::icon_hornsup: motor even came with a dis, brand new alt and crank pulley.. just the way i wanted it, going to put the water pump on a eletric motor.. i dont have the tranny crossmember but i do have some 1x4 square tubing and a welder.. i'll have to make one..got the rear end done and i'll post pics as soon as i get the camera working again

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If it were me i would have it balanced while the machinist had it, only cost about 100.00
Also i would spring for ARP rod bolts. Good luck.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
Just have the shop do most of the work. Have the rods checked for out of round. Just drop off some of the other parts and have them short block it for you. I've built my own engines before and it's so much nicer to pick it up and put heads on it. Next engine I have done I'm not even touching it, I'll let the shop do it all. You probably still have more motivation than I do. After you do it enough times you won't care to spend a few extra bucks to save yourself some time.

Matt

2fast4you

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i like building my own engines, this is only my second one i've built but i like learning and when its all done i can say " the engine that just handed you your ass was built by ME' lol as time goes on, yea i'll have somebody else build it

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
I used to like building my own engines too. Now I like someone else doing them, for when they grenade after a month I take it back.

Matt

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals