• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

MY build thread...'88 Bronco II Desert Rat Patrol Edition: 1/26/24 update!

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
For what it's worth, this is a shot of my '90 B2 2WD. My passenger sway bar bracket looks to be mounted the same as yours, but maybe someone with an earlier model will check theirs and weigh in.

90 B2 rear axle.jpg

close up:
sway bracket detail.jpg

Peter Griffin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks @RobbieD, I very much appreciate you checking and taking the pictures too!

It just strikes me as odd, I gotta take a look at the rubbed/scratched sway bar link and see if that's somehow tied into any wonky-ness...

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Of course it's odd; it's a Bronco II. The "oddness" is a big reason I like mine so much.

Glad if it helps, and I already had pics on file from when I converted mine from auto to manual.

I had heard that the 2WD B2s had a thicker rear sway bar than the 4WDs, and it does look to be the case comparing mine with yours. Interesting difference.

I would think that your passenger mount is how it's supposed to be, but maybe some others will check in with theirs.

So just keep beatin' on that horse; it ain't dead yet.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I’ll try diving under my 88 tomorrow if I remember to. I don’t think I have a sway bar in the choptop in the back, might have to take a peek under it too though. Pretty sure I ditched the rear bar in it for flex off road. I’m wondering where the original rear sway bar for that ran off to now that you mention that the 2wd ones are supposed to be bigger. Hopefully it’s buried in my shed which really needs cleaned out and organized. If it is and it is bigger than the 4x4 one, it’s going on my 88, lol.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Would my 93 be that different from the 88 and 92? Maybe the 4WD is smaller because space there is tighter? They could make a smaller one that's stronger using different metal and treating tech

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I don't know if the Bronco II rear sway bar setup was same as the Ranger.
Would my 93 be that different from the 88 and 92? Maybe the 4WD is smaller because space there is tighter? They could make a smaller one that's stronger using different metal and treating tech
I figure the B2 setup was because of it being so "tippy", due to the short wheelbase and yet same track (tire width spacing) as the Ranger.

The thicker sway bar on the 2WD B2's kind of makes sense. Thicker, stiffer probably works against articulation on 4WD, but a stiffer rear axle would be OK on 2WD non-offroad driving.

And, on a 2WD B2 I would bet that the center of gravity (CG) is maybe a tad bit higher, because of less weight, especially the less weight low in the chassis (front axle, front driveshaft). The dummy transfer case helped the CG on 2WD, but my 1990 is a late production build, which had a regular 2WD A4LD in it. Mine can feel "tippy" sometimes if pushed hard (especially after I changed the auto to a manual).

It's fine if it's not driven stupid, but I have thought about adding some weights as ballast, either in the rear seat footwells or bolted underneath.

Peter Griffin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
IMG_3321 - Copy.jpg

Front shocks on today! I know, not a big deal, but progress is progress y'all! ;)

In typical fashion when more than one of something is being changed, at least one has got to be a pain in the arse and in this case it was the second shock (passenger side). The ones on there were KYBs so they had been replaced at some point. The mounting hardware on the driver side came off easy enough and I just needed hand strength (as ample as it is!) to hold the shock to get the top nut off. Slide in the new shock and bolt everything up; done!

Passenger side decided to fight me and for whatever reason the hardware was froze up and some PB Blaster and harsh language and it was out on the top side. The bottom shock bolt was gorilla tight and I felt like I was bench pressing my front end to get it off, and of course the socket I had was trapped on the inside on the mount until I could get it spun all the way off.

I could not get the lower portion of the shock centered in the bushing to drive the mounting bolt to and made an amateur mistake. Since the gas tank is out it won't run and I needed to turn the wheel to get an angle on the bolt and while doing that the PS reservoir puked brand new fluid out. I should have known better but lesson learned. I was smart enough, however (SHOCKING!) to leave the wheels turned until I can get the gas tank back in and the motor running which should be within the week.

Kind of silly observation but the sticker was too long for the shorter front shock so I had to cut it and put it on in two separate pieces...(free advertising for Skyjacker!)

Front coils, rear leafs with helper spring and bushings still come before I can call the suspension a wrap...whew! 🥵

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Didn’t look at the 88 today, instead I had a setback on the green Ranger project. Namely it fell off the jackstands and there is damage. I’m physically ok. I make no promises as to when I’ll look at the 88 at this point.

Peter Griffin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Didn’t look at the 88 today, instead I had a setback on the green Ranger project. Namely it fell off the jackstands and there is damage. I’m physically ok. I make no promises as to when I’ll look at the 88 at this point.
VERY sorry to hear that but relieved your OK...that's terrifying for sure. Doing everything with either ramps/jacks/jack stands without a lift has always got me thinking about safety and trying to be redundant when I can.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
VERY sorry to hear that but relieved your OK...that's terrifying for sure. Doing everything with either ramps/jacks/jack stands without a lift has always got me thinking about safety and trying to be redundant when I can.
9 jackstands, 6 were on wood and two had just been re-leveled and re-set, three house jacks two of which were on wood and one on 1/4” steel plate, plus two bottle jacks on wood. Somewhere something went terribly wrong.

Peter Griffin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
9 jackstands, 6 were on wood and two had just been re-leveled and re-set, three house jacks two of which were on wood and one on 1/4” steel plate, plus two bottle jacks on wood. Somewhere something went terribly wrong.
Well you certainly had a lot going on; the damage can always be fixed, you not getting hurt is definitely a win...

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Before I get too far under mine I have at least 4 good points supported, but most times 8.
A jack And a jack stand (each always supported on a full ground contact plywood pad) under each axle, After it sets into the jack stand the bottle jack (standard Ford) is snugged up beside it, one axle at a time, on all 4 corners. I don't recall leaving it that way over night but know for sure now they all should be re-checked for snug daily.
Very thankful yours didn't turn tragic

Last edited:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Before I get too far under mine I have at least 4 good points supported, but most times 8.
A jack And a jack stand (each always supported on a full ground contact plywood pad) under each axle, After it sets into the jack stand the bottle jack (standard Ford) is snugged up beside it, one axle at a time, on all 4 corners. I don't recall leaving it that way over night but know for sure now they all should be re-checked for snug daily.
Very thankful yours didn't turn tragic
Mine has been stable for literally months. It was not what I had intended, I typically will ONLY support one end by jacks and stands as an additional safety measure. I always think long and hard before both ends come off. And if both ends come off, I try hard to keep that period as short as possible. Rain soaked soil under the gravel can change things practically overnight. This was an abomination to my hard and fast rules, but it was the way things ended up happening and it didn’t work out. I will say this, I’ve had my fill of working in the dirt and gravel. I’ll have to do the dump truck where it sits, so my Ranger isn’t going to be the last one I work on like this, but I’d like the dump to be my last.

If my garage doesn’t go up this year, I at least want the slab it’s going on. A concrete slab to work on would be miles better and safer than what I’m doing. I always give a shake test before I go under or if I suspect movement. A shake test of standing next to it and give it a nudge. Should feel like it’s dang near bolted to the ground. If it’s not, find out what’s off kilter and make it right. This was right up until it wasn’t.

Peter Griffin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well, another "box" emptied (that's what my wife and I call it when I get something installed and out of the dang box! :ROFLMAO:)

Just the front sway bar bushings. You can see by the pictures of the old ones that they were smoked, particularly the driver's side, not doubt "helped" by a healthy dose of power steering fluid!

IMG_3327 - Copy.jpg

IMG_3326 - Copy.jpg

Just for laughs, I got the front end lifted to mock it up for the control arm bushing, coil spring and front end odds and ends work...

IMG_3324 - Copy.jpg

IMG_3325 - Copy.jpg

Awww HELL no! I showed the bride and she said likewise...no way I'd wrench on this janky azz setup...

Sooooo it looks like a Quick Jack is in my future! Gonna try to pick it up this weekend and it'll make wrenching on this (and my other vehicles) that much easier and safer.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals