• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 87 Ranger I will be restoring soon I want to keep track of my progress and add information as I find it.

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2240.jpeg

My door seals are a little flat. To help breathe new life into them I used the factory holes in the dooe seals and fished a cloths hangar up with a cloths line rope and then over the top. I think electricians have a wire that they use that would be better for something like this.

Last edited:

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2243.jpeg
Here I use a concrete mixer from a big box hardware store to keep bondo mixed well. It works for me
IMG_2246.jpeg

I have two small dents. Welded a stud and got dent pulled. Then while holding I knocked the high part down. I will cover my welds up from the aftermarket mirrors with kitty hair fiberglass. Total 4 spots on door. I have not done body work in a few years and am not finding my bondo spreaders. Yea!!! First dent of many to go. I only have 4 dings in the hood.

Last edited:

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2248.jpeg

I had to stop bodywork as when I went to move the truck it would not start. Ran a few test and determined starter went bad. Took it to Orielly and it started smoking on their machine. One less gremlin to rear its head.

Last edited:

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2254.jpeg

Starting on Passenger door. I have to find my kitty hair fiberglass to cover the weld where the mirrors were. 2 dents getting filled on door.

IMG_2258.jpeg

This one I am not sure how I am going to work it out. May just have to fill it in with body filler. It is not deep. Just a very small ding, but getting it to form to the body will take a little effort from me.

IMG_2260.jpeg

I actually had to put a 3rd stud in to get this dent pulled, Only 4 dents on hood.
IMG_2255.jpeg

This is the biggest dent and it pulled out great.

Last edited:

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2261.jpeg

It’s been about 4 years since I have done bodywork but it is coming back to me. I did it part time for a second job at one time. Always liked doing bodywork just could not get family insurance at the time.

Got hood started and found another hail ding. Picture did not turn out. I will prime and wet sand with 320 grit on next go around.

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2193.jpeg

Here is my bike a Limited. Getting it back this weekend so should be getting back on the Ranger. My dog Molly has a whole 12 miles under her belt. Hoping she becomes my little riding partner.
IMG_1215.jpeg

Picture of me on my wife’s Hertiage Truck is a winter and extra free time project. Getting bikes ready for the upcoming riding season has slowed the Ranger down. I about have bikes ready so should be getting after the Ranger a lot faster

Last edited:

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I need to replace the Carrier Bearing. There are two sizes. I ordered both from Orielly and hope to get it installed this weekend.
Orielly did not have Door Striker Bolts so got them coming in from Rockauto.

Last edited:

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2272.jpeg
IMG_2271.jpeg
IMG_2270.jpeg

I put fiberglass over the patch panels welds and the old mirror bolt holes. Slowly getting the bodywork started.

Heading out to start on my Carrier Bearing and U Joints. Things hopefully can keep moving on this build. .

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2274.jpeg

I have spent way more time then I care to admit getting the drive shaft out and carrier bearing removed. Bolts are just rusted and taking time not to break or strip one. Still I did have to cut one off. There are two different sizes for my year of truck. Not sure either one if these is correct.

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I’m
IMG_2275.jpeg
IMG_2276.jpeg
IMG_2277.jpeg

I still got something positive done. Replaced my door strikers. I could not get them at Orielly but got them at Rockauto. The bushings were missing and made a big difference on door closing. Well worth the $7 for each one.

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2280.jpeg
IMG_2281.jpeg
IMG_2282.jpeg

Literally I spent all weekend getting driveshaft out and disassembled. More on that later.
Some success and just temporary until I get truck painted. I used Velcro to quiet some rattles.

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2283.jpeg

While trying to press out my U-Joint, I broke the holder. I was able to find another holder at the bone yard. I fought this drive shaft all weekend long. Now drive shaft is at shop getting rebuilt. Will be a few days before I get it back.

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2290.jpeg

Wasn’t all bad. Going to the boneyard I found a better dash pad than mine. They have an 87 extended cab two wheel drive I want to go back and get more parts from.
I am still trying to learn how to re upholster vinyl dash pads. The material I have now does not stretch easily so I am researching that still some more.

Last edited:

Danny74

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Don't wait till it's broken to fix things
View attachment 103529
I can cut the Fuel door out if this bed for you if you want it. There is rust in the lower panel is the reason I decided to use this bed for patch panels.
I would absolutely love that. Maybe you can come cut up slightly past one of the body lines so I can line it up. Or maybe that's not a good idea, who knows, just a thought. Much appreciated. However, you know from this point of view that doesn't look too bad. I was actually considering buying a 1990 Ranger that somebody selling that has a utility body on the back, they say it's rusted out but the frame is fine. How much did it cost for you to get that replacement bed? And how hard was it to find that your style?

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I would absolutely love that. Maybe you can come cut up slightly past one of the body lines so I can line it up. Or maybe that's not a good idea, who knows, just a thought. Much appreciated. However, you know from this point of view that doesn't look too bad. I was actually considering buying a 1990 Ranger that somebody selling that has a utility body on the back, they say it's rusted out but the frame is fine. How much did it cost for you to get that replacement bed? And how hard was it to find that your style?
I will cut one out for you this weekend. The blue bed has a big hole where someone replaced the fuel pump. Probably the one I am going to use as a parts bed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

25th Anniversary Merch

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals