• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 86 Ranger, from white beater to Blue Pride.

86_cookiemonster

November '08 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 liter
Transmission
Automatic
Here is my 1986 ford ranger.
Me and My dad rebuilt it.

it started out as a white 1986 ranger with a 2.3 liter streight 4

After 20 some odd years of neglect by my dad and it was in need of some tender love and care.

I found a replacment bed for it and spend a large amount of time sanding it down and removing those little white strips from the side of it.

As you can imagen my family was very angry with me, my little project took up the garage for an entire summer.

I did a lot of work on the cab corners, welding in replacements, and then hiding the welds with bondo and a lot more sanding.

Then thankfully the primer helped hid it some more.

After several long months of working in the garage this is how it turned out

I know its a little bit dirty, but thats what happens when you drive them. (LoL). What do you guys think?

If you would like to see more on the resto of this truck you can always check out my car domain site. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850478.

Last edited:

zainyD]

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Nice job! Now it's time for a 5.0!

Dishtowel

August OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Tidy, very tidy, looks good. You sure did put alot of work into her', now it needs some rims and tires pretty badly.

ak96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
looks great! you did a awsome job..and it payed off very well!

wheels and tires an she'll be stylin!

86_cookiemonster

MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 liter
Transmission
Automatic
I just got some new tire, they are on the last pics. They where el cheapos.

I was going to get rims, and sweet tires, but....
I ran out of money.

I decided to make the stock rims look presentable while I save up my money. The ford rangers rims are the same color as my dads silver 2001 taurus. He bought several things of paint to fix some hail damage, and I don't think he ever noticed that one of his cans of paint went missing, and the rims on my truck suddenly looked just like new.

I actualy wish i could find a set of rims that look like mine, but are wider, to fool some foolish kid into thinking i don't have traction. lol.

Last edited:

86_cookiemonster

MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 liter
Transmission
Automatic
I have an update on my truck. After have my purty new hood fly up on the free way, i had to do a lot of bondo and paint work to get the truck back to "right".
I would like to keep things positive so i would like to point out that the hood coming up can be seen as a good thing, as it gave me an excuse to buy a new tool :-D, a 4 ton port-a-power, which i used to bend the windsheild wiper valance (funny peice of metal behind the hood), back into place.

To prevent the hood coming up again, I installed hood pins.

The hood pins that I eventualy decided on are around 3/4 inches in diameter, so unlike the smaller hood pins, they would not fit in the hole all ready in the radiator support. So I had to drill two new holes in the radiator support.

Once i had the actual had the pins in, I had to cut the holes in the hood itself. It was very hard, after all that work getting the paint just right, to actualy cut into it. But it had to be done. Here you can see my lovely Hole Saw work.

Now after spending all the time to get the hood back on, I am very paranoid about the hood coming back up. So I left the hood lacht on, so that there are 4 things holding the hood down. The two hood pins, the safty latch, and the normal hood latch. It is not flying up agian. This picture just shows that the latch in fact still there, (and unfortunatly so is the anemic 4 cylinder, hopefully that will change soon though).

And Now the moment that you have all been waiting for, the new head on shot of my truck, with its new shiny stainless steal hood pins in.

I know that they are hard to see in this picture, and i have to aplogize for that. A photographer I am not. Normaly my friend takes the pictures of my truck for me, unfortunatly he is in college now, so you will have to settle for my "beautiful" picture work.

And as a random side note, I have also added a new tonneau cover, it helps give the truck a "finished" look, and keeps the little punk kids that live in my neighbor hood from using the bed as their personal dumpster.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
That Rust was nasty!

Glas to see it all restored! :D

86_cookiemonster

MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 liter
Transmission
Automatic
thanks, it was worse than it looked, the floor in the truck has several holes that ford did not put in there from factory if you know what i mean.
thanks for the complement.

DarkBlue03XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
looks awesome man, i hope my '84 comes out that nice

86_cookiemonster

MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 liter
Transmission
Automatic
looks awesome man, i hope my '84 comes out that nice
The look is in the details of prep work. Most of the work you do, know one will ever see. If you see an inperfection in the primer, or bondo, fix it then. The paint will not cover it up.

If you are working on it still you can pm me and I can give you some pointers.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals