• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Multiple Issues?

cmikee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I have been having a missing problem for a while now.

I have to press the gas pedal all the way down to take off from a stop. I have to hold it there for about 2 to 3 seconds and finally the engine 'wakes up' and starts to go.

I have already replaced the plugs, wires, fuel pump (it stopped working), and fuel filter. I swapped the coil packs and it still misses but a little better. But at the same time I also unscrewed my EGR tube from my valve and let it flow free. The reason I did that is because I thought that maybe the catalytic converter was getting stopped up.

My questions are:
-How do I know if the catalytic converter is stopped up.
-since it still misses (just a little better) should I replace the coil packs?
-If it's fuel related like an injector how do I narrow it down to one injector?

Last edited:

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
Assuming it is the 93 in your sig ....
Do not replace the coils until the cheap stuff is reasonably ruled out. I once replace a fuel pump on an Acura ($230), only to find a relay was needed ($12).

At night in a dark area, run the truck, open the hood, look for arcing around the engine wiring.

You can disconnect the exhaust before the cat to check the plugged issue, though I think you will find it's not plugged. Plugged cat usually shows at high rpm, or doesn't allow the engine to run at all.

You can unplug the injectors one at a time to find if any change how the engine idles. A change could point to the culprit. Unplug / plug with engine off, so you don't damage electronics by arcing.

Check the plug gap (again), and see if there is fuel on the plugs. There should be fuel on the plugs if the engine is not firing properly. Do a compression check on all cylinders. Check continuity on the plug wires (yes I read that they are new, check them anyway).

Post what you find, even if you find the answer.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a very similar issue. Mine shakes pretty bad while at stop lights and such. The vibration/rough idle is not so bad in park, but only in drive.

It has improved since i took all the intake apart up to the throttle body and cleaned everything real good. this helped some but the vibrating idle and acceleration lag is still present. my engine has to 'wake up' too. its a 94 2.3 auto

cmikee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Yea it's my 93 2.3 Manual trans.

I put the EGR tube back on and checked over everything. I found that the air filter is seriously dirty. (guess I neglected that part of the maintenace). SO I replaced it and that helped the hesitation out.

I am going to try and describe the missing a little better. At idle It doesn't seem to be missing. I can mostly tell it really bad when the A/C is on and it's hot outside 90 to 105. (might just be that I have the A/C on only when it's hot outside). When I am pulling up a hill with A/C on is when I can tell it the most.

I failed to mention another problem I am having but think I have it thought out. My engine will run hotter than normal when sitting at red lights or just idling. So I noticed that my fan is wore down from hitting the fan shroud (had a motor mount that was broke for a while). Then I let it get really hot turned it off and I could turn the fan with my finger. So I think the fan clutch has went bad too. Might go electric route since it's not alot more than both these parts. Anyone agree might be fan?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals