• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Modding/Dropping Centerlink Pivot Points

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
How much should I drop my centerlink?

2" is what 4x4 Junkie suggests, and what I was going to do originally. But it looks like I could go 2.5", or even 3". Is that asking too much of the Superlift idler arm? Eventually the Superlift bushings will get replaced with a stiffer compound bushing or a needle bearing setup.

Sorry for the crappy picture, but basically the 3" mark is level with the top of the level I have set up. The top of the level is centerline of the tie-rod-ends.

I'm leaning towards dropping it 2.5", that puts the pivot points for the TRE's 3.75" from the bottom of the tubing on the centerlink, and only about 0.25"-0.5" from making the tie-rods completely flat (which would be good enough for me).

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
You're running the axle in the lower bracket holes, huh...?

You'd need to drop that centerlink down a whole 4" to line that up. That would be too much for the Superlift idler with it's soft bushings, yes.

Stiffer bushings (or bearings even) would make it better, though the arm itself and also the frame bracket needs to be reinforced (which I would do anyway).

I did this one for a buddy, and though it's not perfect, it's worked pretty well for him. It's dropped 2" (SJ 6" lift w/8" coils on a Supercab).

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, 8" coils with 6" brackets, beams in the lower pivot hole. I am surprised at how much better it drives as is now (with the superlift stuff) over my past setups. It drives substantially better, and I am not fighting to stay in a lane like before. Even with my tie-rods no where close to horizontal.

So maybe I will do what your friend did and only drop it 2"....or possible 2.5" since the idler arm will get a different set of bushings eventually that will be better (or if I can locate something, maybe even a needle bearing setup).

For now though I am ecstatic about how much better it handles....and will hold off on dropping the center-link any amount for a while yet.

Your friends Ranger looks like the tie-rods are fairly close to flat, so I'm confident 2-2.5 of drop will work wonders for handling. It must drive pretty good too...

I just wasn't sure if dropping it a full 3-4" was even feasible, and it seems it is not. Thanks Junkie.

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
It still has a barely noticeable bit of bumpsteer, but it's nothing to where the truck is wanting to go all over the place, or eating the tires all up (not like it was with the stock linkage & too-short FA400 drop arm).

If you're looking to put needle bearings in the upper end of the idler, I'd say go 3" dropped with it.

Last edited:

jovibuilt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There are pictures of mine dropped 3" on here.I changed my bushings to delron.I have put over 40,000 miles on the setup with no problem.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals