• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Missing Oil on a 3L.

Shoeboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
Well, I just bought a 1993 Ranger with the 3L with 200 000km on it. I have driven it for about 1000km, and in that time, I've gone down 1L of oil. There are oil leaks on this truck, but nothing bad enough to cause this amount of oil loss. When I'm driving I don't smell anything burning and I don't notice any smoke when its at idol, or revving up, or when driving. I don't leave any oil on the street in front of my house, or in my parking spot at work. I'm just wondering if anyone with the 3L and higher mileage has noticed this, and if so have you fixed the problem, and if so, what did you do, or do you just keep topping it off.

Last edited:

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Well, it could be any number or seals. Have you pulled a plug? Could be gaskets, rings, bad valve seals, etc. Pulling a plug would be a good start.

Shoeboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
Plugs are new, and the old ones didn't look bad, considering they were factory equipment with 200 000km on them (everything one this truck is original, unfortunately. Did the oil change, no coolant or anything out of the ordinary, I'm thinking valve seals or rings. I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced this or if anyone could shed light on common problems that these engines have. Amazingly with the "Found on Road, Dead" thoughts I work of very few Fords and Mazda's, and I see very few 3L's. I generally work on GM, Caravan's (man I love those!), and Imports (they're all shit). Most of the 3L ones I do see are for oil changes or other small maintenance items, or they are scrapped before the work is done as the car just isn't worth it. I've also just noticed that at idol there is a minor shake, nothing major, and unless you're looking for it, you don't notice it.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
The cat can mask oil smoke, without a cat my rig puffs a little bit, with the cat there is no sign of smoke.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
if its not leaking, its burning.

with the motor running, unscrew the oil fill cap. get lots of air and sound rushing out of the valve cover? if so you need rings. a vibration could be indicative of uneven compression (maybe you've got a busted ring, which would account for both your troubles).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals