• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Might be looking at this, what should I look for?

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/2769850172.html

I'm probably going to check this out soon, and I was wondering what I should look for when I'm inspecting it, test driving, etc...
It does have the manual transfer case!!!

It does have 177k, is that a lot for the 4.0 or should it be ok?

Price is a little high too, imo.

http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/2823471408.html
I also might want to go look at this too. It's low mileage, but the price seems a little low for a 2000, maybe it was wrecked??

Anyways, which would you guys go for?

Last edited:

Jraymer360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/2769850172.html

I'm probably going to check this out soon, and I was wondering what I should look for when I'm inspecting it, test driving, etc...
It does have the manual transfer case!!!

It does have 177k, is that a lot for the 4.0 or should it be ok?

Price is a little high too, imo.

http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/2823471408.html
I also might want to go look at this too. It's low mileage, but the price seems a little low for a 200, maybe it was wrecked??
BTW, is this 2wd or 4wd?

/E: I'd go for neither. truck has too many miles for the price, and jeep Cherokee's are nice but i want something with a bed!

Anyways, which would you guys go for?
@Jeep, Says 4 door, 4 wheel drive in the ad. And it was towed behind a camper for probably half it's life...

probably just look for the obvious vibrations and stuff that you can pretty much tell it's not supposed to be like that.

Last edited:

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If the ranger turns out to run ok, what should I offer him?

And sorry i guess i didn't see the part in the add that said the jeep was 4wd.

For that price, I would definately take the jeep if it ran well

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Screw the jeep I'd go for the ranger. Miles are high and money may be as well, but still... a jeep? Get serious. I'd check the body over really well for rust in the usual places, body repaint etc- check the coolant recovery tank for gunk and the oil cap for milky residue underneath both looking for evidence of a blown head gasket. Just make sure everything works and it drives good including every power window, lock, HVAC control, cruise control, etc etc etc. Check tires for uneven wear, and bring whatever test equipment you have. I always bring my battery tester, radiator pressure tester, code reader, etc and check everything I can think of. Make certain the check engine light works when the key is on before the engine is cranked and that it goes out when you do crank the engine. Watch for smoke when you fire it up and test full panic braking and full throttle acceleration. Look underneath for any leaks, cut or taped wires, etc. You get the idea, bring a creeper and go over the bitch big time.

Jraymer360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
when you go to look at it..just go to a local shop that says free inspections or like cheap ones. they'll be able to tell whats wrong way quicker then you can. ( most likely)

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My first choice would be the ranger, but for the price and the low mileage, the cherokee would be awesome and those straight 6's are bulletproof. But i've also heard that the 4.o v6's are pretty reliable too.

mazdab40004x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
My family has had a long history with bad Chrysler products. They tend to suck, reliability wise. Every so often you find one that's decent, but I hear more friends and family complain about Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge than any other make so I stay away from them. I drove a rented Grand Cherokee once a few years back and it was pretty nice, but not nice enough to get me past that history.

I would prefer the Ranger. KBB says the pricing is right on for a 97 XLT 4x4 with 177K in 'Good' condition, but it probably depends on supply and demand in your area. Around here in Atlanta, I wouldn't pay more than about $3K for a truck like that. Here's a comparable example from around here -- a 97 4x4 with 210K asking $3K:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/2798196630.html

Hope that helps.

kemo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
As per KBB... private party in EXCELLENT CONDITION is 3209 on that thing. It is in "GOOD" condition, therefore at best, $2934 as per KBB.

Last edited:

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
^^^^

well I'll start at 3k, because to the seller 3k would seem insultingly low compared to what he is asking. I will print out the kbb sheet and bring it with me when I look at it

kemo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'd like to know where they got their price from, or if they really think it is just worth that much.

mazdab40004x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
When I just did KBB, private party sale, 1997 4x4 XLT 5spd with tow, pw,pdl,cruise,ps, ac, sliding rear window, and am/fm/cd it comes up at $4129 in 'Good' condition. Again, I wouldn't pay more than $3K, but you know how they came up with the price.

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I just kbb'd the ranger with all its options (like I was selling it, so this is probably what the owner did) and this is what came up:
Excellent condition: $4,492
Very Good: $4,292
Good: $4,217
Fair: $3,692

I think I'll offer 3600 or 3700
Besides, it's been on the market for a while so he would probably take a lower price.

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Nice lookin' ride. Single cab might be the downer tho.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I like the white truck better.

It is really nice/clean and stock. I hate dealing with other peoples "projects" and it has unlikely seen the abuse that a lifted truck has.

And no offence to your current Mazda but usually Rangers are worth more just for being a Ranger.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals