• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mechanical to electric fan install using Windstar and volvo cooling fan relay

NIGERIAN RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hi everyone. I have seen or read a lot of swaps using Volvo's radiator cooling fan relay, and either a BMWs, or VWs dual temperature switch, in vehicles without efans on then before.

I have also read alot about the Ford Windstar, contour dual speed fans also been used for same conversions, if Taurus or Volvo fans are difficult to come by.

Here's where i needed some clarifications.
1. Some of the dual speed fans i have seen, have two three wire harnesses each on their fan motors.
Two of the wires are normal power and ground, while the third is signal ground or so.
2. Some dual speed fans could carry just two wires, instead of three.
3. The Windstar 2003 radiator with fans I got, had two wire harnesses on one of the fans, and three wires on the other.
Does this means that the two wire harnesses on one of the motors is the low speed fan?
4. Does it also means that the other motor with three wire harnesses, is a single double speed fan, because of the 3-wires coming from it?
5. I have been having issues wiring the fans up with the relays, considering that the two wire harnesses from the other fan, maybe be activated by ground sent from the PCM.
6. Can anyone confirm, if this fan, which i hear is same with 1997 Taurus needs the PCM to control any of the fans.

Thanks.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The one fan is two speed, the other single speed. iirc, the big one runs alone for "low" speed and they both run for "high" but I could be remembering that wrong.

The wiring diagram in the tech section of this site shows you how to wire the relays - you put power to the coil of the relay and then you switch the ground with the temperature switch to engage the coil and pull in the contact for the high-power side of the relay to run the fan. You run a heavy wire to the high-power side of the relay from the battery (through a large fuse) and then run a heavy wire from the other terminal of the high-power side of the relay to the fan motor. Make sure you use the right terminals on the fan motor so it turns the correct direction.

NIGERIAN RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The one fan is two speed, the other single speed. iirc, the big one runs alone for "low" speed and they both run for "high" but I could be remembering that wrong.

The wiring diagram in the tech section of this site shows you how to wire the relays - you put power to the coil of the relay and then you switch the ground with the temperature switch to engage the coil and pull in the contact for the high-power side of the relay to run the fan. You run a heavy wire to the high-power side of the relay from the battery (through a large fuse) and then run a heavy wire from the other terminal of the high-power side of the relay to the fan motor. Make sure you use the right terminals on the fan motor so it turns the correct direction.
If i get you right, the fan with two wires is a single speed, while the one with three wires is the two speed, isn't it?

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
correct.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals