• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lurker for years and a space cadet....

independentreb12

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
So long story short here is the scoop....

Years back (3-5) I bought an 85 regular cab with 4wd. Lifted a good amount on 33''s but I didn't really focus on the lift and what not. It was an insane impulse buy that had a 302 already in it and a c4 mated to it. I never tested the four wheel drive or may have years ago and there it sits. I then decided that I had money to burn and bought an 86 extended cab 4x4 with a stick and got shipped from California, because, well, why not.

So now.....
I have some more time in the sweet spot of finding help and my kids growing up and just starting sports where I can spend some time on this project.

With that being said....
I know the current 302 needs work from sitting and what not. It did fire up and drive when I bought it however. And was able to get fired a few months back.
I don't necessarily care if the 4 wheel works or have a/c. More of a toy and trying to recoup sunk costs on the original. Is it feasible to convert the new standard to auto? And what about drive shafts because of extended cab? Should I just bank on getting new ones made at a hydraulic place because of the difference if and when I swap out the 302 from one to another? Lots more questions I will have but just basic ones for now I suppose.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not sure what you are asking???

".....bought an 86 extended cab 4x4 with a stick and got shipped ...."
Is this a finished V8 swap as well?

On 4x4s you usually won't have to get new drive lines if you change manual to auto or visa versa since transfer case was in the same place on either from the factory, on 2WD they used different lengths
1986 Ranger used an A4LD automatic, it did have 1 solenoid to lock torque converter earlier, but its not required unless you want that, and would need a 1986 computer matching engine size and for an automatic trans

independentreb12

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Negative, sorry for lack of details. The 86 is a standard with the 2.9 4wd. The 85 is the 302 and c4 automatic also 4wd. So my best bet would be transplant the 302 and auto to the 86? I know I will need at least a body lift to make it easier or doable (haven't researched that yet). Or if I am not confident in the current 302 what would be a direct bolt on option in regards to an "updated" 302 that I could mate to my current automatic transmission?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Any Ford 302 with fit current transmission, they were made and used from 1968 thru 2001, name was changed to 5.0l in around 1978 as metric displacement was becoming more common, but always known as 302 Windsor

The AOD(not AODE) is a good option for an automatic as well, it was an OverDrive transmission so 4-speed and needed no computer control, and came on V8 engines like the 302
AOD was used from 1980-1991, in 1992 AODE was introduced, "E" means it needed a computer

Yes, you would need new drive shafts for V8 swap, 2wd or 4x4

The 1996 Ford explorer got a 302 V8 with fuel injection and distributorless as well, used until 2001
explorer and ranger had about the same engine bay space, so these V8s fit snug but fit, in a Ranger
But that's computer control required

independentreb12

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
But for ease of and potentially finding a diamond in the rough i should perhaps looks for a 302 from a late sixties to 85 with a carb as to keep electronics to a minimum. And with what your saying that date range if not up to mid 90's would mount up to my current c4. I'm stuck on the c4 because my father had it rebuilt for me as a christmas/birthday gift, so I know it's fresh and also would be a slap in the face if I didn't use it. Side note, Ron you are amzing for helping me out so much.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Hi, I am completely confused as to what you are trying to accomplish.

However, a couple things jump out at me as glaring mistakes.

1. You need to get the block number from the 302 that you have now to see what you are starting with. Sounds like you have no idea what you have. (early 80's to mid 80's are boat anchors if it is a 255)

2. You have no idea if you want a 4X4 or 2wd. And driveshafts are your least worry. When you get to the point of shaft lengths, you can get them custom made to size or piece and pull some hobbled shaft, however, you are a long way from that.

independentreb12

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
A) that makes two of us as to what I am trying to accomplish, that's why I am looking to get some clarity and direction from the masses who have done this.

1) as for block number I could probably do that, what I do know is that I was told the engine was from the 70s, however when I ordered plugs and wires for it they ended up being matched up yo plugs (size wise) from the 60's. I found an engine from an 83 f150 that they can fire up and comes with tranny and transfer case. With that being said I'm assuming the "255" your referring to is the stamped number on the block I am to investigate?

2) I was just mentioning that both vehicles I have now are 4wd but I'm not concerned if it goes into 4 wheel or not. Simply, hopefully it will just be a toy. I was asking for simplicity if I could or should just forego the 4wd option in general.

2a) I'm in the heavy duty diesel truck line (international to be exact) so turbos and injectors and compatibility within them is more of my game, so I apologize for my stupidity in this realm.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
1) as for block number I could probably do that, what I do know is that I was told the engine was from the 70s, however when I ordered plugs and wires for it they ended up being matched up yo plugs (size wise) from the 60's. I found an engine from an 83 f150 that they can fire up and comes with tranny and transfer case. With that being said I'm assuming the "255" your referring to is the stamped number on the block I am to investigate?

Time to get dirty and climb under the truck to find this number. Will help you to understand what you have going forward. Look where the starter is for the engine casting number, this will give you the engine casting year.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals