• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ls question

stockfornow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 89 xlt 4x4 with a 7.5 ls rear which is my first truck with ls. my question is, does a ls occasinly act like a open diff or is my clutch pack shot. By acting like an open diff i mean one wheel pel in snow not always just occasinly.

Last edited:

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
The clutch packs can give out under enough load, such as high traction situations, and let one wheel spin. If it's doing it in the snow though, sounds like it might be worn out.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
a limited slip is just that. a LIMITED slip. you can still spin one tire with a limited slip if you have enough traction to overload the clutch pack preload...but like sunk said, if its doing it in snow the clutches are probably worn.

jack one tirre up with the trans in nuetral and see if you can spin the tire by hand.

stockfornow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for the help. who hard is it to redbuild the clutch pack and what tools would i need

Last edited:

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Were both rear tires in the snow? I could see a limited slip fail if one had pavement and the other was on snow/ice. But on an '89, chances are you will benefit from a rebuild with new clutches and such.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If the gears are less than 3.73, it's an easy rebuild. Though breaking the cross-pin bolt is unfortunately fairly likely. Help! sells cheap replacements, but the fun part is getting the broken part out. There is a kit online for this for around $20, and it works great.

If the gears are 3.73 or higher, the side gears won't clear the ring gear, so you have to remove the carrier and press off the ring gear.

FYI, to test, put the truck in gear or in park, jack up both sides, and stick a torque wrench set to 25 ft-lbs on a lugnut. If you can click the torque wrench without turning the wheel, it's good.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals