• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lost cruise control after motor/transmission swap

vonD1025

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2 inch body lift
Tire Size
30”
So after switching the engine out to a rebuilt 2.9 and dropping a manual transmission in it I can’t get my cruise control to work. Any thoughts? I’m still using the automatic wiring harness and have a few unconnected plugs here and there.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
When you changed it to a manual, you had to do some wiring to make it crank over correct? You had to jump the old neutral safety? If you swapped the pedal assembly, there were some wires that went from the cruise to the brake pedal to disable the cruise when the brake was pushed. Where these wires hooked back up? There was also a vacuum line with a vacuum switch under there hooked to the brake pedal. This is the cruise dump when you press the brake. Was that hooked back up properly or is it sitting there sucking vacuum?

vonD1025

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2 inch body lift
Tire Size
30”
When you changed it to a manual, you had to do some wiring to make it crank over correct? You had to jump the old neutral safety? If you swapped the pedal assembly, there were some wires that went from the cruise to the brake pedal to disable the cruise when the brake was pushed. Where these wires hooked back up? There was also a vacuum line with a vacuum switch under there hooked to the brake pedal. This is the cruise dump when you press the brake. Was that hooked back up properly or is it sitting there sucking vacuum?
Umm I don’t remember.. my dad and I did it like 8 years ago. I do have to start it in neutral every time. I’ll take a look at the pedals and see what’s going on.

vonD1025

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2 inch body lift
Tire Size
30”
Here is a few pics of it. I took a look but I’m not to sure.

Attachments

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Tucked up behind the dash should be a big plastic box with a bunch of wires going to it. That is the speed control amplifier. See if you have that. You should also have a servo under the hood with a cable attached to the throttle.

There should be a lightgreen wire leaving the amplifier going to the lightgreen on the brake pedal switch. I thought this wire would be a normally closed circuit, but I am looking at the diagram and it will only lock out the cruise if it has voltage on it. So if you find it, it needs to be hooked up but it would not keep the cruise from working if it wasn't.

Go out to the servo under the hood. It should have a vacuum line going to engine vacuum. It should also have a vacuum line going through the firewall and down under the dash. This is the one that went to the dump valve on the brake pedal.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Make sure the VSS is hooked up at the transmission. Speedometer cable comes out and there is a two wire electrical connector there too. Also check for pinched wiring.

If you have a hose feeding the servo from the engine... fun fact if it isn't draped across the brake booster just right the hood hinge will pinch it off. Good times diagnosing that one. It worked fine as far as I could test it but with the hood shut (the only logical way to test it on the road) it wouldn't work.

There is a menu across the top for different things about the speed control system. I snagged a connector from the JY so I could easily test the servo.

The speed control harness:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals