• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Long drives?

Phil_T

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
whats the longest drive you've done with your ranger? I'm driving from Montreal to Clearwater Florida this summer. Tips/advice? Anything you guys found intolerable with these trucks on long trips...I want to here from you're experiences!

Tpenner93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i took my truck from winnipeg to vancouver and back, i loved it, only bad part about it was we had three guys in my ext cab ranger, was fine for me cause i was either driving or passed out in the back, but which ever guy had to sit in the b*tch seats in the back definitely had sore legs by the time we either stopped for food gas or to take a piss, fuel economy was not that great but it sure beat taking my buddies civic, wouldn't of done any four byin in the rockies other wise ha,

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
I did Seattle to N. Ca a couple years ago with my old Ranger... No complaints, cept that it wouldn't go faster lol.

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
There was a thread about this a few months ago with some good tips. I cant seem to find it though. The one i remember is write a few important directions in the corner of the windshield with a dry erase marker so you always see and dont have to look away to figure out where you are going next

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Longest drive was from my home town to Saskatoon. Like an hour drive. Complaints: Terrible fuel economy. Back gets sore (all vehicles). Hard to keep it from jumping between 3rd and 4th. (4.0L, 33's, and 3.73's are the worst). Thats longest drive in its current form. I drove it from Edmonton to home (six-seven hours) when I bought it (stock). That was awesome

sloth69mustang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
97, 97, 91, 69
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3, 4.0, 5.8
before you leave.... replace radiator hoses and belt. those are most likely to fall apart from a lot of heat. i did a 15 hour trip one way and 15 back and i replaced those 2 or 3 things and it was good to go. tune and oil change of course always helps mpg. and best of all good tunes to rock outttttttttttttttttttt lol

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I did a trip last August from NH to Indy, IN & back, about 2000 miles round trip. I was moving my sister. (that's what big brothers w/ trucks are for! :D )

Anyway, do the usual p/m's: oil, coolant, tire pressures, ect. Bring a spare serpentine belt with you, as well as the usual stuff like a tool kit, extra oil & other fluids. Also, swap in a new set of wiper blades. I tried a set of the Bosch beam-style blades (the kind without the bridges) and they work great! Worth the extra few bucks.

One thing I like to do when starting a trip: Leave early morning. I like to try and be on the road by 4 AM so I can put on many miles before most people think of getting out of bed.

Another BIG thing for any road trip: good music. If you don't have a CD player, get one. While you're at it, grab the following CD's:

Joe Satriani: Anthology, the best of.
Rush: Spirit of Radio
ZZ Top: Rancho Texicano
Def Leppard: Pyromania
There are also a few others, but I can't remember right now.

About the only issue I had with my Ranger on the trip was the leaking power steering hose I had. Other than that, the stock bench seat was surprizingly comfortable on the long streches.

Heck, I was even pleased with my fuel mileage, about 24 mpg in 85-90 degree heat while crusing about 70 mph. (The truck's a 2.3/5-speed/4x4 powertrain)

Have a safe trip!

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I've done numerous 2 hour trips in my Ranger with no real problem. Went from Erie, PA to Pittsburgh area in PA, then down to Hazard, Kentucky a couple years back for a TRS trailride, I was perfectly comfortable the whole trip and drove the entire time, but my buddy I picked up in the pitts area whined the whole time because when he said he was hungry, I handed him a bag of chips, lol.

Yes, I always try to carry something to snack on for long trips. Munching on something will help you stay awake too.

I've also done an Erie, PA to NYC to Kittanning, PA and back to Erie trip before. Hauled my 88 BII home that way. Talked a buddy into helping me, we took turns driving and napping in the passenger seat and did it in one big run, no hotel stops. Arguably that was a lil crazy.

Then I did an Erie, PA to Philly, PA to Kittanning, PA and back to Erie trip to haul my choptop home. Did it by myself in 24 hours. That was insanity, I was exhausted by the time I got back to my college apartment.

My biggest problem with long trips anymore is that after about 3 hours at the most I have to stop and get out of the truck for awhile. The run from PGH area to Hazard was around 7 hours and the only time I was out of the truck was to use a restroom or put gas in the truck. But that was before I was involved in a bad accident that left me banged up a bit.

I keep a couple MRE's stashed in the truck, some bottled water, a selection of tools and misc other items I think can be important, TWO fullsize spare tires, usually a 5-gallon can of gas for long trips, snacks, maps, compass, knife (aside from my usual razor knife and not a giant Rambo style either), small bottle of alcohol (rum or vodka, less than a fifth but more than one of those one-shot miniatures - medicinal purposes), tire plug kit, hydro bottle jack, couple blocks of wood (blocking tires or what have you), extra jacket/coat, cellphone charger, CB radio, change of clothes, towel, misc other lil stuff and now I keep my GPS with me. I still keep maps because they can't break.

Southern_Trendkill

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1961, 2010
Make / Model
Mercury, Mitsub
Engine Size
144 "Thriftpower", 2.4 MIVEC
Transmission
Manual
I did a trip from Whidbey Island, Washington to Brunswick, Maine. It was in an '88 that had been driven 1000 miles in 10 years before I bought it. The same truck was driven from Nome, Alaska to Seattle right before the 10 year sit. I had no problems except that the heater was a disgrace to heaters everywhere, and I had to drive through the Rockys in November. It was my first time driving in snow.

But aside from freezing my nutsack halfway off, I didn't have any problems at all.

mud390

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Drove from Little Rock, Arkansas to Macon, Georgia, then on to Charleston, South Carolina. Stopped in Macon for a couple nights to see family before continuing on. Truck made the trip without a hitch and was loaded down pretty good. When I had my 88 Ranger I drove from South Georgia to Biloxi, Mississippi in a straight shot, without A/C, in the middle of Summer. The no A/C thing sucked, especially during the sporadic thunderstorms, but otherwise, a good trip.

Kris

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
Drove from Oklahoma to New York. About a 1,500 miles trip. Ranger didn't have a single problem. And I was pretty comfy all the way there. Made at least 1,000 miles before I stopped for the night. And filled up every 375 miles on the last quarter (6 gallons left on a 20 gallon tank). All I did was drive, pit stop, drive, fuel, repeat. The only thing that did go, but made it through the trip, was the A/C compressor bearing seal. I'm glad it held out. When I got back to Oklahoma, it was 108*F degrees on the east border. But I can't expect a 13 yr old compressor to last forever when it is used almost every day of the summer.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
1800 miles, Duluth, Mn. to Indy, In. and back. only complaints are gas tank too small (15 gal), and not enough room on the pass side for my dog to really stretch out (bench seat). that's all really.

will be going from Duluth, Mn. to Fairbanks, Ak. summer 2011. expecting it to be quite the adventure in my little 1st gen ranger. yeah, the dog's going with so i'm working on her available space for the ride. :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

JimJa1943

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'05
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Right after buying my '05 4x4, 4L, 5spd, 3.73 in May of '08 drove the following route:

San Diego - Wyoming - North Iowa - Thunder Bay, Canada - North Iowa - Wyoming (4,200 miles).

The truck sat all winter in Wyoming. Returned to Wyoming in May of '09 and repeated the trip to Iowa and Canada the following day (3,200)

This year's trip will repeat the Iowa leg and after a short return to Wyoming, will continue on to SLC - Truckee, CA - San Luis Obispo, CA - San Diego - SLC - Wyoming (5,200).

So far not a lick of problems. Drive - gas - drive, repeat to destination. 22-24 MPG with A/C on all the time @ 75-80 MPH. High tank, 25.5 MPG.

BTW, if this trip were made without cruise I'd have to shoot myself. The seats are MAJOR uncomfortable. They are really suitable for short trips only...comfort wise. Although the trips are long, most of the time the truck is used for short trips, <60 miles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pujenWy-rM&feature=related

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
whats the longest drive you've done with your ranger? I'm driving from Montreal to Clearwater Florida this summer. Tips/advice? Anything you guys found intolerable with these trucks on long trips...I want to here from you're experiences!

Hey, you, Hoser. That should be a great trip, eh??

I moved from Coronado (San Diego) back to Tampa to be stationed at US SOCOM back in Dec 1986. I drove my 83 Ranger (bought used with 8,000 miles in early 86). It had the 2.8 motor with lots of mods and running
33x12.5x15 with 8 inch AR polished rims with Goodyear A/t's. I took the lower 10 interstate route. It was a great ride in the 4x4. I drove it many times with my 83 Z28 (bought new). Before I left California I had to drive up to Alameda Naval Air station (San Fran area) to pick up the rest of my gear from my ship and then headed on home to Tampa. I will always remember that trip. Perfect weather and lots of trucks and jeeps honking and waving all the way to Florida!!! I stopped in Arizona (Upper Terminator, near Phoenix) and did a night camp out with a group of Jeeps, Toyota's and a few Suzuki Samurai's. They treated me as if they new me all their life's!!! They new I was military with the decals on the windshield of course. There were a few retired vets there. We did an early trail ride and then called it a night about &:00 pm. It was fun. Nobody broke down and nobody got hurt. Some of the folks brought their dogs along!!!

Straycat

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Rangers are good on long trips. I do agree with the fuel tank being too small (15 gallons on mine). My longest range between fuel-ups was 310 miles (from Bow, NH to White Lake, NY). Usual range from full to 1/4 tank was about 275 miles (or when my sister need a pit stop.)

With all respect to my sister, long trips are best taken by yourself or somebody who has a big bladder. I only stop if the truck or the driver needs fuel.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals