• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

lifting the rear of my b2

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
ok i am just about done with the jeep coil and d35 install on the front of my 89 b2. now i am moving on to the rear and want to get it done quickly cheaply and get lots of flex to match my front. i currently have nearly new leafs with new shackles and hangers that will be going on the b2 that already have a short add-a-leaf in them. i also have a set of YJ or CJ skyjacker lift springs that i can bastardize into my b2 spring pack. i am looking for around 3 inches of lift so what suggestions do you have? o yea no blocks will be used no matter what. i want flex and am going to buy shocks to suit my flex.

thomasakehoe

Banned
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You'll be able to get lift out of adding and mixing spring packs, but I think you'll end up with a pretty stiff suspension if you're going to get 3" out of adding leaves. I have just a add a leaf added to my new stock leaf packs and it's a bit stiffer than factory, might not be bad after they have been driven on for a while, ut just trying to give you a heads up on leaf springs for lift and real flex you'll probably want to get a set of soft lift springs, but that might not fit with your idea of inexpensive.

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
FYI i need somewhat stiffer springs because i tend to be abusive to my b2 and its running 33 12.5s. i am thinking about a longer shackle and tossing most of my new leaf pack into storage and using most if not all of the jeep leafs since they are arched significantly more than my stock replacement springs. what size shackle do you guys recommend if i am looking for 1.5 inches of lift? (i anticipate my bastard spring pack will net 1-2 inches) i usually just go with the trial and error method but i want to get this done right and soon!

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
use a set of Explorer springs with an add-a-leaf. That should get you 3" of lift and a fairly stiff suspension.

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i already have a set of almost new ranger springs so no need to go buy any not to mention 3.5 sets of springs to bastardize together if need be.

thomasakehoe

Banned
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I wasn't trying to give you grief I was just trying to give some advice from what you're first post sounded like you wanted to go totally flex crazy... stiff and flex are kind of opposing elements in suspensions. If you have a plan go for it and let us know what you get and more power to you man. As far as shackles go I think the "rule" of thumb is like for each inch longer of a shackle you go you gain half an inch of net lift. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Belltech 6400 shackels will give you that 1.5" of lift and they seem to add a good amount of flex.

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Belltech 6400 shackels will give you that 1.5" of lift and they seem to add a good amount of flex.
sounds good. i think i am going to use the skyjacker entire leaf pack with the eyes cut off the main leaf and toss my entire pack except the main leaf. i figure i can always swap in the shackle mentioned above if the lift springs dont cut it.

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
:icon_thumby:

No complaints here.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Flip your stock shackle and run a block. Trust me you'll enjoy the ride.

I've got a flipped stock shackle 4 door explorer springs, and a 2" ranger block and it was night and day different than the no block lift springs and extended shackle.

BTW I have about 3" of lift also.

Capt Jay

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93 body.
Make / Model
Ford(ish)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you can avoid it................NO BLOCKS!!!!
Axle wrap is bad, bad, bad.

86 you had it right in the first place.

Jay

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the input guys. keep in mind i beat my b2 very hard when its call for (some times when its not too). i am shooting for going with the main spring off my new(er) ranger pack and using the entire pack of lift springs including the main spring with the eyes cut off. i still want to hear what everyone has to say so if this set up suck big time i know what i need to do!

PS rear has a mini spool and the front is open (8.8/d35) the front will be locked as soon as 300 bucks comes avail. for a aussie.

Last edited:

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i think the jeep coils are going to do the trick once i get the right pack made up. mite be a PITA but i am cheap enough i will take the time to do it!

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
PS rear has a mini spool
I'd put the spiders back in and weld it, 8.8 mini spools dont have a very good reputation.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals