• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

lifter question!!

blackwood87B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
well, im pretty sure i know the problem but before i go tearing into my heads i figure i get a few opinions, today i was driving my truck and it started ticking pretty bad so i pulled to the side in a parking lot and shut it off, let it cool a bit and started it back up and it stopped ticking so drove it home and when i was pulling into my neighborhood it started ticking and running rough so what i'm guessing is that one of my hydraulic lifters is not keeping pressure judging that it waited for the oil to get hot and thin out so now it ticks when idling and before all of this it would tick upon starting and clear up when it built up oil pressure, i checked the oil, and oil pressure and they're all good please give me some opinions, thanks

blackwood87B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
????

it quit ticking when i went out and started it:dntknw:

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
maybe your oil filter bypass was in the process of kicking in??
fram filters are noted for screwy bypass valves inside the filter.

the 2.9are also noted valve tic/clatter. others here will tell you to just run it.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
You might be low on oil.

Fram filters are JUNK...Wix are the best that I've found. NAPA auto parts Gold series filters are made by Wix if you can't find the actual Wix brand.

The anti-drainback/siphon valve helps alot on cold starts but not a guarantee. Should stop ticking after a few seconds of running....for the most part. These engines tend to sound 'ticky' even when they are fine. What brand/weight of oil are you using? How often do you change it?

fastford04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
mines done that for since i got it 2 months ago runs great it just ticks when it gets warm..i talked to one of my buddies an he said i should try some slick50 next oil change and not worry about it!! so imgoin to try it!!!

Last edited:

fastford04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok i only red half of that an i changed my mind!! dont take my advice just change ur oil regularly!

90B24wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Check your rocker arm shafts it's probably clogged with dried sludge resricting oil flow.

blackwood87B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
thanks

i use valvoline conventional 10w-30 with a motorcraft filter and i change it every 2900-3100 miles i try not to go over 3000 miles it was not low on oil and only had about 2200 miles on the oil it had, i changed it today after flushing the motor and added some lucas oil stabilizer to the new oil and it doesnt even remotely tick anymore since yesterday when it quit ticking even on startup after sitting all night

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
It's not really the lifters, and it's not the rocker shafts.

a seriously ticking 2.9 is ALWAYS the same thing...

Lack of Oil pressure or Oil "control".

In other words, it's freqyuently dead cam bearings that leak the oil presure before it
gets where it needs to go.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals