• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lift options for an 02 4x4 ...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I'm always hesitant to post here as likely the information has previously been covered and I don't like being that guy. Also, I know very little, so while I am well-intentioned, I am ignorant. Kindness would be appreciated.

I checked the tech library, did a few searches in the forum, searched google can't find a solid answer. I have an 02 Mazda B4000 (Ranger) 4x4 with torsion and I'm wanting to lift it. For a 2wd there are lift spindles of various heights, 2", 3", 4", etc. but there does not seem a lift 'knuckle' for a 4x4. My questions are as follows:

1. Does anyone make a lift 'knuckle' for a 4x4? If so, who?
2. If the above answer is 'no' (which I expect) it seems my options are torsion bar crank, keys, and other kits like what's mentioned in this article: Did you lift your 1998-2011 Ford Ranger 4x4? Am I even somewhat close??

Thanks.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Rough Country makes a 5 inch lift for a 4x4. It does include new knuckles.

I also moved your post to the suspension forum.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Here is what is offered through the TRS Store: https://trsgarage.com/product-category/ford-ranger-suspension-lifts/1998-2011-ford-ranger-lift-kits/

There may be more makers out there but there isn't many. The torsion suspension on the 1998-2011 Rangers wasn't a favorite for suspension lifts due to the limitations of the suspension design and drivetrain layout. Your Mazda is pretty much identical under the sheet metal to a Ford Ranger. So, either of these two kits would work. Just keep in mind, because of the design of these trucks, the lift kit enables you to use bigger tires but ground clearance below the axles and the cross bar that anchors the torsion bars will not be enhanced. The bigger tires will give you some more clearance but the lift kit will not.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Here is what is offered through the TRS Store: https://trsgarage.com/product-category/ford-ranger-suspension-lifts/1998-2011-ford-ranger-lift-kits/

There may be more makers out there but there isn't many. The torsion suspension on the 1998-2011 Rangers wasn't a favorite for suspension lifts due to the limitations of the suspension design and drivetrain layout. Your Mazda is pretty much identical under the sheet metal to a Ford Ranger. So, either of these two kits would work. Just keep in mind, because of the design of these trucks, the lift kit enables you to use bigger tires but ground clearance below the axles and the cross bar that anchors the torsion bars will not be enhanced. The bigger tires will give you some more clearance but the lift kit will not.
Thank you for the link and info! I didn't know there was a TRS store. I'll take a look.

As for the history and available lifts for this truck / type of suspension - this is good info and my search results seem to match what you've told me. As this truck is my daily, I'm just looking to put bigger tires under it. I'm not really worried about the clearance but this is good to know.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Thank you for the link and info! I didn't know there was a TRS store. I'll take a look.

As for the history and available lifts for this truck / type of suspension - this is good info and my search results seem to match what you've told me. As this truck is my daily, I'm just looking to put bigger tires under it. I'm not really worried about the clearance but this is good to know.
I suspected as much but better you know up front than be surprised after the fact. Most lifts are pretty much like that any way but the “extra part” with the cross member for the torsion bars throws people off.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I suspected as much but better you know up front than be surprised after the fact. Most lifts are pretty much like that any way but the “extra part” with the cross member for the torsion bars throws people off.
And I appreciate you letting me know and not making the assumption. If I was gonna off road the truck or needed clearance, this would be essential information. Thanks again for the help!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals