• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

lift 2wd

mxyamaha

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
hey i am just turning 16 and got my dads 88 ranger 2wd and was wondering if it would be a good idea or bad to lift it with a stock 2.9l engine. what are the pros and cons of doing this compared to a 4x4. i want to do trails not prerunning.
jarod

97DangerRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I lifted my 97 and like it. You dont have to worry about the extra axle but you just will be stuck easier. you will just need to remember you dont have 4wheel to help you.

mxyamaha

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
yeah i will just go with a buddy or two with 4x4 jeeps and things but another question how big lift with what size tires to get you through and over stuff

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2wd for a 16 year old is probally a good idea. I had a 4x4 Ranger when i was 16, i thought i was unstoppable!!!!! turns out i wasnt!!!! a few years later, NOW I KNOW I AM!!! i would Put a small lift on it, couple inches or so and some offroad tires when you can afford them and i think you'll be happy.

Blueranger99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l v6, k&n box filter- this thing sucks... air
Transmission
Manual
i think it would be much easier to lift a 2 wheeler. plus if your concerned bout gettin through stuff, i would just put a limited slip in the rear. unless yours already has one, then your set. i had a 93 s10 blazer that had an open axle, i traded it on my ranger that has a limited slip and i can go through stuff in 2 wheel that i would have needed to put the blazer in 4 wheel. so i say go for it dude.

Blueranger99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l v6, k&n box filter- this thing sucks... air
Transmission
Manual
almost forgot, i had a buddy back in highschool who had a 69 chevy 2wd stepside (short bed) pickup with the 292 straight 6, and had street tires on the front and 33 inch swampers on the back. he use to go mud boggin with it, and i rarely remember him gettin stuck. so theres somethin to think bout.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2wd for a 16 year old is probally a good idea. I had a 4x4 Ranger when i was 16, i thought i was unstoppable!!!!! turns out i wasnt!!!! a few years later, NOW I KNOW I AM!!! i would Put a small lift on it, couple inches or so and some offroad tires when you can afford them and i think you'll be happy.
Pfff... weakling. I was unstoppable at 16! HAH HAH HAH!

Lifting a 2wd isn't a bad idea, you got less weight up front to slow the rear down (can't replace the 4 drive tires but still good). And if anything else you got the cool factor to look forward too. I remember being the only guy in school with a jacked up truck... not nessisarily pretty but I got the looks when i rolled up in a brown truck and left mud rings in the lot. :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals