• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Let the smoke out... :(

Munchie1615

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Well.... I'm new here and I'm the lucky owner of a 1990 V6 2.9 Ranger, I'm planning on doing a write up later today about everything I've done to try to get this beast running again but I'm feeling defeated this morning as I was trying to do some tests on the Air charge temp sensor and the ECT sensor.

I was trying to do a voltage test to see what the output was when I noticed that wonderful electrical smell and then found the smoke inside the cab coming out of the ECM. I put my volt meter to voltage, I was using paper clips on the backend of the sensor connector (they were NOT) touching, I had the battery connected, key on and went to test what the output voltage was -- upon connecting only 1 lead I heard about 3 random clicks then smelled the smoke. I disconnected everything and went to check in the cab that's where I found the majority of the smoke and the lights off of the dash. Disconnected the ECM and opened her up and found this:

I'm planning on going to the junkyard and seeing if this 1991 Ranger ECM matches before I spend more at RockAuto but just hoping that I didn't do any other damage.... Any insight to that thought? I checked all the fuses in the fuse box under the hood and all of those tested good...

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
If you didnt pop any fuses i would think maybe something shorted in the ECM itself? Maybe thats why its not running?

Ive never seen an ECM kill itself like that though.

Good news is as long as the 91 has the same trans (auto or manual) it should work assuming you have federal emissions and the 91 is to.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
If it's just a capacitor, that's a super easy fix 🤷🏼‍♂️

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
When I got truck cig lighter was just ugly hole. Turned out cig lighter was pushed thru the bezel because plastic of bezel worn/broken. The fix is to take a 1" split key ring, may have to cut it to get just one thickness, use that as a washer. Worked great, and cosmetically invisible. Hole in bezel is tapered so two thicknesses prevented proper seating to engage threads, but once you have one thickness it has some give to it and can be made to work. I was tired of seeing ugly hole, plus, can use it as Aux 12V and not have cord hanging so much in the way.

Oddly radio and heater vent etc came out with bezel, which I'm pretty sure didn't happen when I took off bezel before, so I'm assuming something is just stuck there. I think bezel should come off as a separate piece and not be stuck to radio etc.
This post brought to you by Bro, the Teller of Cool Stories.

I think you replied in the wrong thread buddy lol

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
yeah it was sposed to be in "what did you do to your ranger today" SORRY pls move it then delete this post THANK YOU

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
It's moved :)

Munchie1615

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Well, lucked out and the ECM was still in the '91 at the junkyard. Came back and threw it in my '90 and at least I have lights back again, but still the same problem - cranks but no start. Look for my write up about the truck later. It's definitely time to start scratching some more heads than just my own, all the videos I've watched and the threads I've searched haven't come back with the right fix yet...

Munchie1615

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Well, lucked out and the ECM was still in the '91 at the junkyard. Came back and threw it in my '90 and at least I have lights back again, but still the same problem - cranks but no start. Look for my write up about the truck later. It's definitely time to start scratching some more heads than just my own, all the videos I've watched and the threads I've searched haven't come back with the right fix yet...
Also, sorry about not posting it in the right spot! thanks for moving it!

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Keep it simple first and determine if it's fuel or spark by using a bit of starting fluid.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals