• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Learning to Fly

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
85_.............Yep...........I really regret not taking flying lessons back in the day when a Commercial license (did i say that right?) was only $1,550 American.................

UpStandingMember

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6
Transmission
Manual
I thought about trying for a license, but that's a hell of a lot of money.

I'm studying for an A&P license now, so I can work on the aircraft. I've been working on helicopters mostly for the past 16 or 17 years. Military birds, and I'm a civilian contractor, so I haven't needed to have the license. But hopefully very soon I'll be working on civilian aircraft. That's when I'll need the license.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
I thought about trying for a license, but that's a hell of a lot of money.

I'm studying for an A&P license now, so I can work on the aircraft. I've been working on helicopters mostly for the past 16 or 17 years. Military birds, and I'm a civilian contractor, so I haven't needed to have the license. But hopefully very soon I'll be working on civilian aircraft. That's when I'll need the license.
Great!!!! another thang for me to regret....I didn't study for my civilian license.....din't even take the test when I got out of the Arrrr-meee....made 1/2 the hourly pay as the other aircraft mechanixs made!!!!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
85_.............Yep...........I really regret not taking flying lessons back in the day when a Commercial license (did i say that right?) was only $1,550 American.................
Money counted for more back then too though.

Just like today, that would $1500 would have put a heck of a dent in the price of a new car back then.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I spent most of my childhood planning to fly. Growing up my grandfather invested a lot of time in my sister and I, and in the process I was engrossed in the stories of him learning to fly at a junior college not long before World War II. As I recall, he was finishing up a science class when the teacher approached him and offered to give him flight lessons for free because the school's flight program was about to be terminated because of low enrollment. From there he took an commission in the Army Air Corps and spent the duration of the war as a transport pilot flying basically every type of plane we used in the war. After the war he worked with the FAA for a couple of years before taking a job as the pilot for Conwood Corporation out of Memphis, flying a twin beech and eventually a Lear 23 for the next couple of decades before retirement.

All that to say, while I didn't end up being a pilot it's always been a fascination. My current goal is to get our house and student loans paid off, then start flying lessons and the process of building a kit plane (currently interested in the Cozy Mk-IV).

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When my wife talked me into getting out of the marines so she could go to grad school, I somehow ended up in a A&P program. I finished the airframe and then she finished grad school and I never worked in the field. One thing I was amazed by was how little you actually have to learn to get licensed, and how much of your real training comes in the field after you get hired somewhere. We had to learn how to dope fabric on a Piper Cub and rivet patches into a Cessna Citation--the largest plane at the school. Doping fabric and gas welding steel tubing is archaic knowledge in the current fleet. My year at that school played a large part in my decision to avoid airplanes. You get licensed to work on 50 year old technology, and then sent out to apprentice on real planes. I'm guessing that Boeing and such offers lots of training schools for follow-up education for A&Ps. The school I went to would have in no way prepared me for duty on a modern airliner. I can form and rivet a beautiful patch on an aluminum wing, but a Beech Bonanza isn't a Boeing 777.

As my grandma (who would be 108 this year had she lived, bless her soul) used to say, "Lord bless us and spare us."

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When my wife talked me into getting out of the marines so she could go to grad school, I somehow ended up in a A&P program. I finished the airframe and then she finished grad school and I never worked in the field. One thing I was amazed by was how little you actually have to learn to get licensed, and how much of your real training comes in the field after you get hired somewhere. We had to learn how to dope fabric on a Piper Cub and rivet patches into a Cessna Citation--the largest plane at the school. Doping fabric and gas welding steel tubing is archaic knowledge in the current fleet. My year at that school played a large part in my decision to avoid airplanes. You get licensed to work on 50 year old technology, and then sent out to apprentice on real planes. I'm guessing that Boeing and such offers lots of training schools for follow-up education for A&Ps. The school I went to would have in no way prepared me for duty on a modern airliner. I can form and rivet a beautiful patch on an aluminum wing, but a Beech Bonanza isn't a Boeing 777.

As my grandma (who would be 108 this year had she lived, bless her soul) used to say, "Lord bless us and spare us."
That was more than a couple years ago though wasn't it? It is kind of a lot to expect training whenever that was to apply to future things.

There are still a lot of older planes out there... I would say on average they have outlived cars of the same year. Not to mention it is a safer means of travel.

tandangerranger

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am currently in A&P school. I am about to test for my airframe liscense. Although we are still learning the old airframe techniques, we also have learned alot of new techniques like working with composites. I believe that since there are still so many older aircraft flying now, they need to cover the older techniques....On another note I decided to go skydiving this past weekend. It was much harder getting into a crappy cessna 182 that looked like it was about to fall apart to go up 10k feet than it was to jump. Being in A&P school makes me look at aircraft a little differently now.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am currently in A&P school. I am about to test for my airframe liscense. Although we are still learning the old airframe techniques, we also have learned alot of new techniques like working with composites. I believe that since there are still so many older aircraft flying now, they need to cover the older techniques....On another note I decided to go skydiving this past weekend. It was much harder getting into a crappy cessna 182 that looked like it was about to fall apart to go up 10k feet than it was to jump. Being in A&P school makes me look at aircraft a little differently now.
Is there a better time to ride in a crappy airplane than when you have a parachute? :icon_twisted:

Might even help you gain the extra courage to jump out rather than brave the landing. :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals