• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Laptop upgrade- are my standards too high?

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
My current short list is below. Both are the same computer, but one is Intel and the other is AMD.
My requirements are: 4k, dedicated graphics, 16gb ram, and better than what I have now cause it’s old (cause that’s how it’s supposed to work).

Both of these have an RTX3050. One is i7 11th gen, and one is AMD 7 5800.

My current machine is 9 years old with a 6th gen i5 and a GTX of some variety (half life 2 can run on max, but that’s kinda where the limit is). It’s a dell that’s been buggy since day 1 and that kinda turned me off of dell. Asus and Lenovo are preferred, but my requirements really narrowed it to Asus (and MSI but their hardware has a bad rep). I want to be able to play games on decent settings and do some work. Computers are something that I ought to be excited about, but I just can’t get into it. I find it a taxing thing to learn about. I have spent a few hours trying to decide between AMD and Intel but just can’t differentiate the two. There’s all the benchmarks, threads, graphs, numbers, then I get super overwhelmed and bored with it.

I’m wanting the computer version of a v6 Camaro. Don’t need a hellcat but want more than a Civic SI. I have no idea how this graphics card ranks. I have no idea about the difference to the user between an old i5 or a new i9. Really once computers got to quad core, I lost interest.

Edit: I don’t do any video/photo editing. That seems to be mentioned everywhere. I do some complex, large excel stuff tho. I’d also note that 16gb ram is new to me. Last I was in the game, 8gb was a lot.

Last edited:

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Have you considered a Macbook Pro or Macbook Air? Very good used models are available from MacOfAllTrades, OWC, and Amazon. 'Course I'm strictly a happy Apple user.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
Have you considered a Macbook Pro or Macbook Air? Very good used models are available from MacOfAllTrades, OWC, and Amazon. 'Course I'm strictly a happy Apple user.
Not really. My wife has a Mac of some variety and it’s just so different. There’s a bit of a learning curve to make the transition, tho I haven’t put forth much effort. I really need excel and some other MS stuff. I just don’t see much value in a switch. Apple isn’t supposed to be game friendly either. I do love my iPhone tho.

Last edited:

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
If anyone is curious, I kinda have an answer. I looked up the two cpus like this “cpu a vs cpu b” and found several sites that had all the nerd tests done. Those results don’t mean much to me, but they also interpret the results.

I still don’t know how good of a cpu I need. My current guess is that these things are so fast now that even the budget computers are indistinguishable from the super-deluxe ones for the average person. It seems that the only folks who need to care about the cpu are super intense video and photo editors.

To put it in numbers, a $400 machine seems to be equal to a $2000 machine. The $2000 machine may be 4x faster, but that means zilch when you’re measuring in milliseconds for an operation to finish. Video editors can be waiting hours. Do I have the right idea?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If anyone is curious, I kinda have an answer. I looked up the two cpus like this “cpu a vs cpu b” and found several sites that had all the nerd tests done. Those results don’t mean much to me, but they also interpret the results.

I still don’t know how good of a cpu I need. My current guess is that these things are so fast now that even the budget computers are indistinguishable from the super-deluxe ones for the average person. It seems that the only folks who need to care about the cpu are super intense video and photo editors.

To put it in numbers, a $400 machine seems to be equal to a $2000 machine. The $2000 machine may be 4x faster, but that means zilch when you’re measuring in milliseconds for an operation to finish. Video editors can be waiting hours. Do I have the right idea?
I believe so. If you play games you would want to look at GPU as well, and how easy it is to install drivers.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
i am in the same boat. i need to replace my old laptop but i need it to run zwift better than the one i have. i want something inexpensive since it will be basically only used for zwifting.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
i am in the same boat. i need to replace my old laptop but i need it to run zwift better than the one i have. i want something inexpensive since it will be basically only used for zwifting.
That looks like it’s basically a game. It probably needs a dedicated graphics card. Id bet any fairly modern Nvidia GTX series would do. Maybe not an MX but I really have no clue. For processor, I go back to my original thought. Anything modern ought to do. By looking at screenshots, it looks like my 6th gen i5 with a lower line GTX (lower line for 10 years ago that is) would be able to handle it just fine.

If you’re going to hook it up to a tv, prob cheaper to get a tower.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Buy a chip or motherboard with embedded graphics, then add a video card that supports two monitors to be used exclusively for gaming. Use your 1st monitor for the built in graphics and the 2nd and 3rd monitor for accelerated graphics for playing games. I know when rendering long videos using Kdenlive it will not use your hardware card if it is used for your main monitor, though it will allow you to specific how many threads.

I have not run Windows on my own computers for 10+ years, so, I would suggest you look at cards that are known to work with your favorite games and current operating system. In the Linux world, AMD seems to be much more responsive for drivers. If you really like playing games, I would suggest planning for a audio card. With the new MIDI standard you are bound to see new options for game related play.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
That looks like it’s basically a game. It probably needs a dedicated graphics card. Id bet any fairly modern Nvidia GTX series would do. Maybe not an MX but I really have no clue. For processor, I go back to my original thought. Anything modern ought to do. By looking at screenshots, it looks like my 6th gen i5 with a lower line GTX (lower line for 10 years ago that is) would be able to handle it just fine.

If you’re going to hook it up to a tv, prob cheaper to get a tower.
Zwift can definitely scale down to run on pretty much anything. I've got it on an ancient i5 (I don't remember the generation at the moment) with a 1060 3GB and it runs great.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
I settled on the Ryzen 7 model. This question was a bit moot because 4k + dedicated graphics yielded a price floor of like 1200. This is best bang for the buck I think. The screen is quite wonderful. Really I think the answer to this question is anything 10th gen or better (and AMD’s equivalents) is more than fast enough for most everyone. That’s starts around 500 (minus video card) for a nice machine, and probably can get to low 400.

I put a list together for work computer recommendations and settled on an 11th gen i5, 16G Ram, half TB SSD Lenovo or asus. I think 600. It was a bit nicer than the $1000 machine that the completely computer illiterate folks who were tasked with finding something.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals