• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

key switch

joey74

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yea my brother inlaw threw away my steering colum but I can get a free one. The problem is no key so is there a way to change this without a key? It' a 99.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
99 may have PATS if it is a V6... give your BIL a dope slap, get the free column and pay a dealer or locksmith to set up a new key that fits the new ignition. If it doesn't have PATS, yank the old cylinder out (you may have to drill it) and get the kit at any autoparts store.

AJ

joey74

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
99 may have PATS if it is a V6... give your BIL a dope slap, get the free column and pay a dealer or locksmith to set up a new key that fits the new ignition. If it doesn't have PATS, yank the old cylinder out (you may have to drill it) and get the kit at any autoparts store.

AJ
It does have a v6 someone told me it didn't have pats thanks.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
It does have a v6 someone told me it didn't have pats thanks.
wasn't sure if PATS was in 99 or not. sounds like you got lucky, go grab a kit from Autozone and drill the old one out. Now you will have two keys, one for the doors and one for the ignition. I would still give your BIL a dope slap lol

AJ

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm pretty sure it was the 4 cylinders that didn't have PATS then. A '99 V6 would have had PATS, unless it was maybe a fleet truck. Not sure at all about that fleet truck thing.

Aside from that I agree with @97RangerXLT, particularly the dope slap part. That said, I don't think this is the first time we've suggested smacking your BIL. Please don't do it everytime we suggest, you might end up with a restraining order and an upset wife/sister. Every other time should be more than enough to get the point across.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yup, 98+ with a V-6 had PATS, even fleet trucks from what I’ve seen. Somewhere 99/00 the 4-bangers got it.

My understanding is that you have to be really careful drilling them out. Or find a locksmith.

joey74

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yup, 98+ with a V-6 had PATS, even fleet trucks from what I’ve seen. Somewhere 99/00 the 4-bangers got it.

My understanding is that you have to be really careful drilling them out. Or find a locksmith.

AJ
Ok I'm going old school carb, one wire dist and electric fuel pump. Do i have to worry about pats?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Ok I'm going old school carb, one wire dist and electric fuel pump. Do i have to worry about pats?
Short answer, no, not really.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals