• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

just a few questions...FX4 vs. 4x4? and locking hubs

rangerdude91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
what is the real difference between these 2 models?

also i have manual locking hubs on my 95. im looking to get a newer FX4 soon. my question is when its in 4WD, will the front tires be locked like my 95? or will the spin independently? i know you can buy manual locking hubs, but can you do that for a FX4?

sorry if there obvious answers but i only know my 95 and older models

thanks

Nathan

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
what is the real difference between these 2 models?

also i have manual locking hubs on my 95. im looking to get a newer FX4 soon. my question is when its in 4WD, will the front tires be locked like my 95? or will the spin independently? i know you can buy manual locking hubs, but can you do that for a FX4?

sorry if there obvious answers but i only know my 95 and older models

thanks

Nathan
It will have live axles, so the answer is no, you won't be able to put manual hubs on your new FX4. Your front CV axles will turn all the time unlike my 98 and 99. IIRC 2000 was the first year they did the live axles, maybe it was 01. In 98, Ford went with the vaccuum hubs which can be switched over to manual hubs. In other words, you're SOL with live axles.

rangerdude91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
i was thinking about selling my 95 once i get my new truck, but then i wont have a good wheeler then

thanks for the devistating news!!! haha, but that means i just get to keep my first ranger...but then ill have 4 vehicles total!!! such a hard dission!!! time to sell the VW

Thanks again

Nathan

rangerdude91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
how do live axles preform off road? i guess not the best

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
the only difference that i can recall is that newer than 2000 is that basically the hubs are always locked and if you get an 02-03 you might get lucky and get a manual t-case

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
how do live axles preform off road? i guess not the best
The live axle has nothing to with how it performs, you just can't do 2wd low range. It's the A-arm IFS that determines how it performs..

Hows the 1354M workin' for ya Chance?

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
The live axle has nothing to with how it performs, you just can't do 2wd low range. It's the A-arm IFS that determines how it performs..

Hows the 1354M workin' for ya Chance?
exactly.

it's workin beautifully except i haven't gotten a new front ds yet. 2lo is pretty bitchen though:icon_rofl:

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
IMO, live axles FTW! No hubs to deal with....no one side engagement BS, no hub failures, and if still PVH, no loss of vacuum or hoses to deal with and to keep working correctly. Put her in 4 and you've got it....PERIOD. Some '00s have Pulse Vacuum Hubs(PVH), some '00s have live axles.

On live axles, the front diff is always spinning, driveshaft and CV's too. So in 2wd, the hubs are already 'locked', just apply power(driveshaft) and you've got 4wd.

You CAN do those rugged ridge/AVM hubs if you use the wheelbearings/hubs from a 98-99 model with PVH, and use the same PVH CV shafts. Pointless to me IMO, because live axles FTW.

c_note

September 2009 OTOM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger/Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
i was thinking about selling my 95 once i get my new truck, but then i wont have a good wheeler then

thanks for the devistating news!!! haha, but that means i just get to keep my first ranger...but then ill have 4 vehicles total!!! such a hard dission!!! time to sell the VW

Thanks again

Nathan
any stock FX4 will out perform any stock 95 4x4 or even a moderatly modified 95. you gotta remember, the FX4 comes equiped with alot things that would be up gradeds on older trucks.

FX4 is the better choice.

rangerdude91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
ok well thanks for all the info. i think in going to try and get an 03 FX4 or newer with all
the goodies my truck doesnt have...like power options and AC!!!! haha

thanks again

Nathan

c_note

September 2009 OTOM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger/Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
if your gonna get a newer one and want the option for the Manual Transer Case, the 2002 FX4 and the 2003 FX4 Level II are the only late models that offered them. you should be able to get a deal on one for about $9,000 or less. it might take some looking around to find one tho.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
The 98-99 vacuum hubs were troublesome and unreliable, which is why Ford went to an always-live front on the 2000-up. The front end always spins, the switch just kicks the t-case in and out.

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yep, the 98 I just bought has the front axles locked in right now. Before I roll it out i'm going to have to unlock them manually. No big deal to me really since you just pop it out and push the spring. I'll probably upgrade to manual hubs though.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
any stock FX4 will out perform any stock 95 4x4 or even a moderatly modified 95. you gotta remember, the FX4 comes equiped with alot things that would be up gradeds on older trucks.

FX4 is the better choice.
Better shocks, skidplates, more offroad oriented gearing, and an OPTIONAL gear type Torson limited slip all in one package is what really matters. The rest is appearance stuff.

Shocks are wear items, gearing is still optional on lower models, skidplates are available on other models (I got mine off of an '86 XL) and a Torson still isn't a locker.

Anything with more aggressive tires, limited slip rear and 4x4 should be more than a contender for one.

If you are building a wheeler, the Torson, shocks and gearing will do nothing but increase the cost of your truck... because you won't be using them anyway.

Not to mention a dent in a older truck doesn't quite hurt as much as one you are still making payments on...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals