• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is it toast?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
That's personal preference, if it has a limited slip, the modifier makes it more slick and can cause some tire scrub in corners if you don't use it, but I wouldn't stress about it. If a little tire scrub doesn't bother you, just use the normal amount or none, whatever... I didn't add any to my '00 Explorer after I shimmed up the limited slip and I didn't notice anything goofy after 40k miles, but it did lock up on hard launches in corners...

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
99% of the population never even checks the oil in the front differential, yet drives for >200k miles without issues.

The ALUMINIUM for the case is almost paper thin - probably not 3mm - at bottom of case. I doubt there is enough thickness for sufficient threads to hold a plug. If I put plug at the bottom of the case, every rock in the country would be lining up to take a shot at knocking it out so it better be secure.

If you aren't putting plug at the bottom - where the water would be after playing in the creek or iron fillings would be if you suspect you damaged something with hard wheeling - why add it at all??

Suck it up and drop the differential if needed.

p.s. I have found it advantageous to put one side of truck on ramps, pull the axle, drop housing slightly, reinsert the axe (now below the a-arm), lower off ramps and repeat on other side. Avoids the gear oil bath when you didn't balance the housing perfectly and one end drops... Installation is the reverse.

p.p.s. 2 hydraulic jacks or transmission adapter might work to lower/raise coordinated but my little one does reach high enough.

dashhho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000 SE
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I pumped out as much of the fluid and refilled with fresh two times. I am still getting a bit of noise in the front end when I am at low speeds. If I am slowing down to a stop sign it will growl a taddddddd bit. I happens without braking and going straight so I dont think it is a wheel bearing? I think a pinion or carrier bearing is making the noise maybe. Any thoughts on if this sounds correct?

dashhho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000 SE
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It also doesnt seem to change sound level if I turn the wheel left or right which leads me to think its not a wheel bearing. I feel it under my feet in the truck it seems.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
You have live axles so it could be the U-joint or prop joint on the front driveshaft...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals