• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

IRS swap questions

joemac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I am considering an irs swap from a thunderbird or mark viii. From what I can gather it is 62.75 or 63" wide. A ranger rear axle is 56.5" wide. Is there room under there. I do not want to add fender flares.

Any ideas or know anyone who has done this? Pictures, I couldn't find much when I searched.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Any ideas or know anyone who has done this? Pictures, I couldn't find much when I searched.
I have never heard of anyone doing this... Yet... It would be a neat idea though...

midget

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6
Transmission
Manual
Dont use the Tbird IRS its not the same as the mustang unit and there is very little aftermarket for them. Now the Mustang IRS would be a wicked upgrade handling wise and they have a large aftermarket and retain the 5x4.5 bolt pattern. The MN12 chassis IRS (tbird,cougar,mark III) for some info look up www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com its a web forum for late 80s tbirds but some have done the Mustang IRS swap and have very detailed information about the suspension that might help you out.

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
This is the back end of a Ranger from Ranger-forums.com

MN12 IRS. Found in Lincoln Mark VIIIs and Newer model T-Birds

Last edited:

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
Eeewwwww.............

This is the back end of a Ranger from Ranger-forums.com
MN12 IRS. Found in Lincoln Mark VIIIs and Newer model T-Birds

==========================================
NOT much travel room IMO:icon_confused:, you'd wipeout that upper arm with a good shot to the frame:bawling:

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
==========================================
NOT much travel room IMO:icon_confused:, you'd wipeout that upper arm with a good shot to the frame:bawling:
Its a street truck. Thats how the stock suspension is minus the custom upperarms he made. He used the stock brackets cut from the car the IRS came from. The truck is a turbo SOHC 4.0L being used on the track (autocross style racing)

joemac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
A popular upgrade for the MN12 cars is to swap over the cobra irs rear hubs as well as the front hubs to change to the 5x4.5 bolt circle. I have a '94 tbird and I have done this.

That picture of the upgraded irs is sweet. The stock upper arm is curved and I would engineer the same curve into it if I made an custom piece. That upper arm is nice though, I hadn't seen one up until now. It is correct to say there are not a lot of aftermarket parts for them.

I was planning to use airbags, or air rides bag with the shock inside. Cobra brakes are a simple upgrade and upgraded cobra half shafts can be used as well

It looks to me that the upper control arm in that picture is outboard of the frame if you look closely.

My main question is on the width. I am not too concerned with the other issues as I am pretty familiar with the MN12 IRS.

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
you can also look at the newer explorers IRS... an 8.8 IRS designed to be under the weight and payload of the explorer cant be completely horrible, and finding a crashed or flipped explorer in the junkyard isn't that tough of a thing.

dangeranger01

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
you can also look at the newer explorers IRS... an 8.8 IRS designed to be under the weight and payload of the explorer cant be completely horrible, and finding a crashed or flipped explorer in the junkyard isn't that tough of a thing.
+1, and you keep the same width and bolt pattern.

midget

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6
Transmission
Manual
The MN12 tbird is alot wider than a ranger I had an 91 tbird stock car (used to beat some rules) and it barely fit on my 80" wide trailer with 8" tires its in fullsize width territory. Althoush that ranger looks like it has plenty of up travel if you think about the length of the arm and the fact it is an A arm the inside doesnt move much another odd thing is the fact the MN12 suspension uses really odd heavy spring rates I had 550lbs rear springs in my tbird and it was perfect for a tacky track but when it got rough it would bottom out. Ive seen guys use 800lbs rear springs in a fox body car thats been converted.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals