• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Internet connection took a dump...

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Had a bit of a power surge on my computer circuit and blew the fuse...when I turned the modem back on it would not connect to the internet...

tried the usual stuff...even tried another computer...would not connect...called the Tech support and they ran me through the same things that I did three times already and finally agreed to send me a replacement modem...but it will take two days...

Well, I saw that when I was connecting via USB it would get a trickle of packets...so I hooked up and was able to ping the ISP...but IE 6 would not connect to sites...

Soooooo...I installed Firefox again (glad I didn't dump the download file) and then tried the ISP home site...connected...and now I'm back...sort of...not sure if the Ethernet will work now, but I think that part of the modem was fried somehow...

These things drive me nuts sometimes...but I love them to bytes...

fleck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well yeah, if the Ethernet connection doesn't work but the USB connection does, I'd assume the Ethernet port fried. It wouldn't be uncommon for just one or two things on a device to go, I've had a single PCI slot on a motherboard stop working, and also had just the fan plugs on a motherboard stop working. Funny things.

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
yes consider yourself lucky only to lose a ethernet port. most computers that get hit usually the power supply and the mobo go up in smoke. the hd's seem to survive alot.

go buy a cheap pci ethernet card. chances are you are going to need it. and possibly a new modem. while you are at it replace the ethernet cables if you can.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Well yeah, if the Ethernet connection doesn't work but the USB connection does, I'd assume the Ethernet port fried. It wouldn't be uncommon for just one or two things on a device to go, I've had a single PCI slot on a motherboard stop working, and also had just the fan plugs on a motherboard stop working. Funny things.
The first time this happened was when we moved to the new house...they kept telling me at the ISP that it was my computer and had me go through so many times the same routine that I finally yelled at them and got through to a higher level...turned out the outside line was not connected properly...

yes consider yourself lucky only to lose a ethernet port. most computers that get hit usually the power supply and the mobo go up in smoke. the hd's seem to survive alot.

go buy a cheap pci ethernet card. chances are you are going to need it. and possibly a new modem. while you are at it replace the ethernet cables if you can.
I know it's the modem now (I hope) and they are sending me one that comes with a new cable also...if I get the same results I might consider putting in another ethernet card...since I have two or three kicking around...but I know it's not my computer because I tried a second computer with the same results...

New modem comes tomorrow I hope...we'll see how that goes...

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
My horror story with customer support was back about 12 years ago when cable internet high speed was just getting into the area.

Basically the modem stopped working. It took me 3 weeks to convince them that no it wasn't the modem since the Other 17 people on the local router didn't have a connection either.

They didn't understand that. I tried and tried went through 2 managers. I used small words and pulled some hair out.

What finally got it fixed was this. their own customer support system went down so they routed my call through a another city completely.

These guys said to me. what? your tickets been open for 3 weeks and they havn't even checked the router on the pole? I told them no, that i had been calling daily and that i couldn't get across to them the simple logic that if everyone in my area was down it couldn't be my modem. or me. or my line or my computer.

they had a guy on the pole in under two hours. and fixed in 2 hours and 15 mins. I tend asked how do i get my entire customer service dept for my city fired for complete incompetence. And I hope like hell you guys arn't charging my for a month of no service.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Modem still has not appeared at my doorstep...gonna have to call them again...I hate dealing with tech support (offshore, anyways)...

Edit: Update...just called tech support and went through three different people before someone finally found the tracking number for Canada Post...sheesh!

Oh, well...should be here soon...

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Well, isn't this special! I was expecting the replacement modem today...called tech support to get the tracking number...spent another hour on hold waiting...finally connected to an escalation level rep (who is in Canada) and guess what...

They didn't even process the order...~!~!~!

So, after chewing the escalation reps ear off (told him it was NOT his fault) suggesting that he should escalate my concerns to a manager...I felt marginally better about not having a properly working modem for the last two weeks...

I didn't tell him that I got it to work on USB because he may have cancelled the order at that point...but if I had not gone through the hoops and jumps to get this working and had needed to use it to search for a job or send a resume I'd be a much angrier person to deal with...

He couldn't expedite the shipment though...going to take another two or three days to get here...

Arrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhh~!

fleck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Oh man, these people are as reliable as poop.

You're still connecting to the internet using that modem with USB though right? It's not like they can't see that from where they're at.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Oh man, these people are as reliable as poop.

You're still connecting to the internet using that modem with USB though right? It's not like they can't see that from where they're at.
Yeah, it still connects via USB...but I was sharing a connection through a switch with the computer upstairs and I can't do that with USB...well, I suppose I could...but it was working fine the way it was...

They did try to send the modem once...it was sent to the wrong address...and I confirmed that they are sending one again...but for some reason the rep didn't even process the last order to replace the modem they sent to the wrong address...

Whether I can connect from USB or not should not affect the fact that the modem doesn't work on ethernet...

fleck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, it still connects via USB...but I was sharing a connection through a switch with the computer upstairs and I can't do that with USB...well, I suppose I could...but it was working fine the way it was...

They did try to send the modem once...it was sent to the wrong address...and I confirmed that they are sending one again...but for some reason the rep didn't even process the last order to replace the modem they sent to the wrong address...

Whether I can connect from USB or not should not affect the fact that the modem doesn't work on ethernet...
Well I'm just saying, if you were or have been or are connecting to the internet using that modem, they are thinking to themselves 'this jerk is connected with the modem so WTF?!' Not sure if that's the scenario but yeah. All of the ISPs I've dealt with, they have techs come switch them, or local places you just go and replace the modem. I'm surprised that they can't provide that service for you.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Yes, some ISPs do that I suppose, but Bell just sends them out...I did tell them that it now works only on USB...I just think it was gross inefficiency on the part of the rep...we'll see soon enough....

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
OK...got the replacement modem...different model...no ethernet cable in the box...BUT IT WORKS on ethernet...so there was a problem with the modem itself...

what a PITA this has been...

fleck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
OK...got the replacement modem...different model...no ethernet cable in the box...BUT IT WORKS on ethernet...so there was a problem with the modem itself...

what a PITA this has been...
Hey, I hope they at least gave you a newer/better model of modem.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Hey, I hope they at least gave you a newer/better model of modem.
It is newer, but has a lower model number...still works...but there seems to be a bit of a lag in it for some reason...I've got 15 days to return the old one and I'm going to hang onto it for at least a few days to make sure it's going to work...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals