• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Interesting clutch problem

Flounder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My 96 2.3 Ranger has 99k miles on it. I only use it 2 or 3 x a month lately. Yesterday I ran some errands and while backing out of a parking spot the clutch suddenly started slipping. Never slipped before. I know that usually would mean worn clutch plate or oil contamination. What is weird is that the pedal suddenly felt soft simultaneously. I limped it home and when I got to my driveway (which is a slight hill) I decided to back in for ease of working on it later, Before putting it in reverse I gave the clutch pedal a few pumps, on the third pump it momentarily got really firm and felt like a brake pedal. Next pump felt normal. This morning I pulled the rubber inspection plug on the bell housing and no signs of oil or brake fluid leaks. I also put it in second gear with brake on and gave it gas while letting up the clutch, it grabbed pretty well but it did not stall so there is some slipping. The fluid is up, The clutch is original and the truck has had light duty all it's life. Everything tells me clutch replacement but with the strange hydraulic symptoms I thought I might be missing something. Is there a check valve somewhere that could cause pressure on the slave to partially disengage the clutch while not pressing on the pedal? Thanks for any insights.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Symptoms could be failed pressure plate, unusual failure

The resistance in a clutch system, mechanical or hydraulic, is the pressure plate's springs that hold the clutch disc tight to the flywheel

In the Ranger's hydraulic system as the Slave expands toward the pressure plate it pushes on the finger springs which lessens the force holding clutch disc against the fly wheel, and that's the resistance you feel
When you release the pedal the finger springs push the Slave back into closed position

If pressure plate is broken that would account for soft pedal and the "slipping clutch", before its time

Only thing I can think of that fits both symptoms

Flounder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks so much Ron, Just wanted to get another opinion before diving in to it. Is there a recommended protocol for parts replacement while the tranny is out besides clutch kit, throw out bearing, slave cylinder? Would it be wise to do the rear main seal at this point? Anything else? Also what parts source/brands are a solid choice? Cheers!
Symptoms could be failed pressure plate, unusual failure

The resistance in a clutch system, mechanical or hydraulic, is the pressure plate's springs that hold the clutch disc tight to the flywheel

In the Ranger's hydraulic system as the Slave expands toward the pressure plate it pushes on the finger springs which lessens the force holding clutch disc against the fly wheel, and that's the resistance you feel
When you release the pedal the finger springs push the Slave back into closed position

If pressure plate is broken that would account for soft pedal and the "slipping clutch", before its time

Only thing I can think of that fits both symptoms

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
LUK brand clutch parts never disappointed me

Use self adjusting pressure plate, only a few dollars more, but in my opinion worth it

Flounder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
LUK brand clutch parts never disappointed me

Use self adjusting pressure plate, only a few dollars more, but in my opinion worth it
Thanks again Ron, Have a nice evening.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals