• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Intake manifold

Jim Wright

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
1989 ford ranger 2.9. Quick question. Would a bad gasket or warped lower intake manifold cause water in combustion chamber? I don't think it is head gasket because l am getting water out of both #1 and #6 cylinders. They are on opposite sides. I recently had both heads re-done at machine shop and have around a 1000 miles since I reinstalled them. Darn truck won't run on water. Anyway, thanks in advance for replying. Jim

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
1989 ford ranger 2.9. Quick question. Would a bad gasket or warped lower intake manifold cause water in combustion chamber? I don't think it is head gasket because l am getting water out of both #1 and #6 cylinders. They are on opposite sides. I recently had both heads re-done at machine shop and have around a 1000 miles since I reinstalled them. Darn truck won't run on water. Anyway, thanks in advance for replying. Jim
Bad lower intake gaskets could cause it yes, or warped manifold.

Usually water inside anything on a 2.9 points to cracked heads though.

Jim Wright

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Bad lower intake gaskets could cause it yes, or warped manifold.

Usually water inside anything on a 2.9 points to cracked heads though.
Thanks for reply. Have good compression on all 6 cylinders 160 to 170. Is it possible that both heads cracked or blew a head gasket, I ask because water is in combustion chamber on opposite sides. I have not overheated the truck or done anything out of the ordinary. I'm kinda out of my expertise here
Thanks jim

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Thanks for reply. Have good compression on all 6 cylinders 160 to 170. Is it possible that both heads cracked or blew a head gasket, I ask because water is in combustion chamber on opposite sides. I have not overheated the truck or done anything out of the ordinary. I'm kinda out of my expertise here
Thanks jim
Compression tests dont always show cracked heads, leakdown tests are better for that.

However 1 and 6 are on opposite corners of each other, that kinda reads like a warped manifold...have you had it off?

Plus you got an 89 which has the slightly less crack prone heads.

Id pull the manifold and have it checked. That way if you do have to pull heads youre already a good ways there.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
If the heads were resurfaced the intake manifold may need to be planed so it will mate up properly. A machine shop should be able to calculate how much to cut if it needs to be planed. My machine shop figured I didn't need to plane my intake after having .015" shaved off but a 2.9 is a 60 degree engine so the amount is probably different.
If the heads weren't planed or if the machine shop says the amount shaved off shouldn't matter, I'd replace the gaskets. I use either Felpro(my first choice) or Victor Reinz, or I don't put it together.

Jim Wright

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Sorry guys I said in post cylinder #1 and cylinders 6. It is cylinder #3 and cylinder 6.
Opposite each other. My bad
. Jim

Jim Wright

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Compression tests dont always show cracked heads, leakdown tests are better for that.

However 1 and 6 are on opposite corners of each other, that kinda reads like a warped manifold...have you had it off?

Plus you got an 89 which has the slightly less crack prone heads.

Id pull the manifold and have it checked. That way if you do have to pull heads youre already a good ways there.

Jim Wright

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Going to take intake manifold to machine shop and have it checked for cracks,warp etc. Also going to do leak down test on both heads to determine blown gasket cracked head, block etc. Will keep you posted on results. Thanks a bunch. Jim

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals