• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

In search of some old steel ranger rims

RustyDusty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I'm getting ready to put some new tires on my 1987 4x4 ranger but I've been wanting different rims on the truck and now would be a good time to source them so the new tires can go on those. I'm in search of something similar to these rims I found on an old first gen ranger I saw online.
1983-Ford-Ranger-Classic Trucks--Car-101806231-94df615d4bfe47f6b92ea646f980ced5.jpg

Are these basically just old ford steelies from something like a mustang or are they trailer rims? Anyone have any ideas on my options when it comes to searching the local classifieds for rims? There's a lot of 5x4.5 bolt pattern rims but I'm not sure about fitting them over my 4x4 hubs. Would these old 5x4.5 1950's ford rims someones selling near me work?
301501821_5674288429304078_8387129080253957867_n.jpg

RustyDusty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Also, if anyone has any tips on a good tire size for a first gen 4x4 ranger after a 4" suspension lift I'm all ears. Based on the chart I found on this website I should be looking for some 31" tires if I don't want any rubbing without doing some modifications to the body.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Those wheels in your first picture were a factory option in the 80's. Early 80s, to be exact....... I would go junkyard hunting and see if you can find some. They were often used for the spare tire. That exact style is kinda hard to find, though, I've had probably 30-40 Ranger pickups over the years and only saw a few of those. I can't tell if the ones in your second picture would work. It appears that the center of those wheels is offset further towards the outside of the wheel, meaning that your wheel & tire would sit further inside your wheel wells. Jeep wheels are like that and IMO it looks kinda weird.

As far as tire size goes, it depends on the wheels you run. Factory wheels should be able to clear 31x10.5s without rubbing with your 4" lift. Wider wheels or those with negative offsets/less backspacing may be a problem because it pushes the wheel and tire out further. You could also look at 16" wheels & tires, or narrow tires as well... used to be able to get 31x9.50's in a 15" size that were nice and narrow.

RustyDusty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Those wheels in your first picture were a factory option in the 80's. Early 80s, to be exact....... I would go junkyard hunting and see if you can find some. They were often used for the spare tire. That exact style is kinda hard to find, though, I've had probably 30-40 Ranger pickups over the years and only saw a few of those. I can't tell if the ones in your second picture would work. It appears that the center of those wheels is offset further towards the outside of the wheel, meaning that your wheel & tire would sit further inside your wheel wells. Jeep wheels are like that and IMO it looks kinda weird.

As far as tire size goes, it depends on the wheels you run. Factory wheels should be able to clear 31x10.5s without rubbing with your 4" lift. Wider wheels or those with negative offsets/less backspacing may be a problem because it pushes the wheel and tire out further. You could also look at 16" wheels & tires, or narrow tires as well... used to be able to get 31x9.50's in a 15" size that were nice and narrow.
Thanks for the response. Thats too bad those rims are hard to find, the stock ones on my Econoline look just like those and I really like them. I will look around at the junkyard. I do like the looks of a narrower off road tire personally.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
i saw some on facebook market place here in south texas. every time i see them, i picture the old 85 ranger my dad had as a company truck.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
i cannot find the ad for the whole set

RustyDusty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Interesting so they're 14" rims, That makes me reconsider wanting to get some, I feel like it would be easier finding tires for 15" wheels right? How are you able to ID those rims as the ones on the truck I posted? All those old ford steelies look real similar to me.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Check hotrod shops like Summit, Jegs, Speedway etc, people are still making them.

I would not spend any money putting 14" wheels on a 4wd, especially a lifted one. Finding tires will be a nightmare.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The spare tire wheel on my 1990 BII is that style (and is 15x6" w/3.75" backspace). I don't think I've seen that style offered as the regular road wheels though, you'll probably have to scour the junkyards for spare tires from every Ranger and BII you can find.

RustyDusty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The spare tire wheel on my 1990 BII is that style (and is 15x6" w/3.75" backspace). I don't think I've seen that style offered as the regular road wheels though, you'll probably have to scour the junkyards for spare tires from every Ranger and BII you can find.

Interesting that this style was mainly used for the spares. I'm not going to obsess over getting a full set if they're that tricky to find. I was hoping they were a lot easier to find a full set.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I don't think I've seen that style offered as the regular road wheels though,
Same here. I'm pretty sure I've only seen that style of "4 spoke" (or 4 slot) wheels as spares. The 4 spoke road wheels were styled different.

Picture from an early Ford sales brochure, these are the steel (road) wheel styles used on early Rangers and Bronco II's:

1983-87 steel wheels DS.jpg

The "4 spoke" steelie on the left was used on 1983 to 1987 trucks, Rangers and the Bronco II, in 14" and 15" (the B2 was 15" only, I believe).

The 8 spoke steelie on the right was much more common, and came in 15" and 14". It could use a chrome trim ring, as shown here. This style was used on '83 to '91 Rangers, 1984-'90 Bronco II and '91-'92 Explorer (later two, as 15").

I don't know what styles or sizes that any of the other Ford models used (i.e.- Aerostar, F series, etc.), and I think that the Ranger bolt pattern was kind of unique.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Same here. I'm pretty sure I've only seen that style of "4 spoke" (or 4 slot) wheels as spares. The 4 spoke road wheels were styled different.

Picture from an early Ford sales brochure, these are the steel (road) wheel styles used on early Rangers and Bronco II's:

View attachment 84473

The "4 spoke" steelie on the left was used on 1983 to 1987 trucks, Rangers and the Bronco II, in 14" and 15" (the B2 was 15" only, I believe).

The 8 spoke steelie on the right was much more common, and came in 15" and 14". It could use a chrome trim ring, as shown here. This style was used on '83 to '91 Rangers, 1984-'90 Bronco II and '91-'92 Explorer (later two, as 15").

I don't know what styles or sizes that any of the other Ford models used (i.e.- Aerostar, F series, etc.), and I think that the Ranger bolt pattern was kind of unique.
Actually the ranger pattern is kind of commonish in Ford land. Last I knew the mustang is still using it.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
The 5 on 4-1/2 pattern is also very common on trailers, Ive seen plain rims like that on many boat trailers.

RustyDusty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The 5 on 4-1/2 pattern is also very common on trailers, Ive seen plain rims like that on many boat trailers.
Would it be safe to run trailer rims like that on a truck? I see people advertising 5x4.5 trailer rims for sale that look a lot like the ones in the original pic I sent but Im unsure if its kosher to run those on a ranger.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals