• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Im 31 years old with mild autism / any fellow aspies here ?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I’ve never been formally diagnosed with anything, but I’m highly likely “on the spectrum”. When I was a kid I said something to my parents about it and they asked me if I wanted to be tested and wanted to be treated differently than other kids. After I thought about it a bit I decided my answer was No to both. I’ve left it like that since. Sometimes I wonder if I’d be better off to have a diagnosis and be treated differently just because people anymore are absolutely ignorant. I haven’t felt strongly enough yet to actually do that, but I have been a big advocate for awareness.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I’ve been voluntarily in the military for 36 years as of yesterday. I have to be on some kind of spectrum to keep reenlisting.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I’ve been voluntarily in the military for 36 years as of yesterday. I have to be on some kind of spectrum to keep reenlisting.
It's the fuel fumes.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
How is your son doing i hope he is doing good :) so he was born in 2011 ?

Do you feel like your autistic and do you want to be formally diagnosed.

Who is Anthony Schmidt ?
he has daily struggles, but overall is a very smart and sweet kid with a huge imagination.

as for me, being on the spectrum would explain a few things and struggles that I had as a kid and with social awkwardness. I am on the fence on being formally diagnosed. On one hand it may open a few things up for me treatment wise and even job wise (such as protection from being fired for being me lol) but on the other hand, I have survived 51 years so far without that diagnosis, so not sure if the benefits outweigh the time and appointments to get it all sorted out.

my son also has ADHD and SPD along with anxiety(which one of his doctors told us that Autism usually comes with friends, ADHD, SPD, Anxiety, Depression etc... ) again I have never been diagnosed with ADHD but seeing it in him I totally believe I have it lol. SPD and ADHD are the usual suspects when a meltdown hits, although anxiety can also add to it. but SPD (sensory perception disorder) is huge with him and his mother. both sounds and smells can set either one off.

AJ

Gary DuBois

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 cubic inch
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
31 inch
he has daily struggles, but overall is a very smart and sweet kid with a huge imagination.

as for me, being on the spectrum would explain a few things and struggles that I had as a kid and with social awkwardness. I am on the fence on being formally diagnosed. On one hand it may open a few things up for me treatment wise and even job wise (such as protection from being fired for being me lol) but on the other hand, I have survived 51 years so far without that diagnosis, so not sure if the benefits outweigh the time and appointments to get it all sorted out.

my son also has ADHD and SPD along with anxiety(which one of his doctors told us that Autism usually comes with friends, ADHD, SPD, Anxiety, Depression etc... ) again I have never been diagnosed with ADHD but seeing it in him I totally believe I have it lol. SPD and ADHD are the usual suspects when a meltdown hits, although anxiety can also add to it. but SPD (sensory perception disorder) is huge with him and his mother. both sounds and smells can set either one off.

AJ
Im sad that your son has his daily struggles :( thats great that he is very smart with a huge imagination.

What were the few things and struggles that you had as a kid ? what social awkwardness did you have ? Go with what feels right to you and what you want to do.

I don't have adhd and whats spd. how would i know if i had anxiety ? in what ways does sounds and smells set either one off.

GD

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
The Maverick is fairly new. We got Sport Tracs.
I probably have mild Aspberger's. Photographic memory for certain things I read, especially cars and sports, and OCD about some things. The intake valve size on a 1969 Boss 302 is 2.23" but on a 1970 Boss 302 it is 2.19". I manage to function pretty normally.
For sure I have Non Verbal Learning Disorder (NVLD). Only recently learned it was a thing. This means I don't recognize non-verbal cues such as facial expressions and behaviors. If you think that hurts my relationships with women you'd be correct.
I also have NVLD, I was diagnosed with it when I was about 11 or so, I also have trouble reading people intuitively so I actively try to learn what certain body language based things are on a person to person basis. Many people who I interact with on a regular basis are aware that I have this issue and will just tell me instead of hoping I figure it out. I have found that the right woman will be understanding of this but there aren't a ton that are, those who think that you're broken or a burden to them because of this seem far more common. I've gotten to the point where I just come right out and say it from the beginning to weed out any bullshit, haha.

I also remember all sorts of information that is mostly useless, or quite specific. I build wiring harnesses for vehicles as a hobby and it seems to be terrifying to mechanics that have been playing the game much longer than I have because apparently wires are scary.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
I also have trouble reading people intuitively so I actively try to learn what certain body language based things are on a person to person basis.
I've tried that but it's too much to have to think about when I'm also trying to listen to what someone is saying.
I'm like you, most people and family who know me will just tell me what they want.
I'm coming up on 20 years with wife #2 and it took her about the first 10 years to get the hang of it.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
I've tried that but it's too much to have to think about when I'm also trying to listen to what someone is saying.
I'm like you, most people and family who know me will just tell me what they want.
I'm coming up on 20 years with wife #2 and it took her about the first 10 years to get the hang of it.
I also have this issue, I will pick one or the other, depending on situation.
some who I know still haven't figured it out and I've known them most of my life.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
I also have this issue, I will pick one or the other, depending on situation.
some who I know still haven't figured it out and I've known them most of my life.
It's not like I'm insensitive or can't buy suitable birthday and Christmas presents but if people are going to leave me hints then there's at best a 50/50 chance I'll guess right. :D

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
It's not like I'm insensitive or can't buy suitable birthday and Christmas presents but if people are going to leave me hints then there's at best a 50/50 chance I'll guess right. :D
We handle it differently. We often have wish lists on amazon and different sites. She wants suggestions on what to get, I print out the list for her to pick from. She does the same for me. There are times I do pick up on comments about things here and there and completely surprise her but a list is a good place to start. She/I won’t know what is bought until handed it and it’s a guarantee that the item will be liked.

This year, I went with comments and got her a Founder’s Bible. It was a hit out of the park.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
The Sport Trac is getting old, so you'll be moving on soon. What will your next truck be?
2020 Ranger. Sport Trac blew a head gasket two years ago. Wasn't worth fixing.
Can I have the upgraded rear-axle (w/ disc brakes) out of your discarded Sport Trac(s)? ;):cool:

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
... He specializes in forced perspective- using model cars and props with real, life-size backgrounds. It makes it look like the models are real cars...
One of the best examples of that in video is the 1985 movie 'Brazil', directed by Terry Gilliam of Monty Python fame... o_O

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
Can I have the upgraded rear-axle (w/ disc brakes) out of your discarded Sport Trac(s)? ;):cool:
My '05 has been gone since '08 when I got a new one. Adapting the '08 IRS might be a chore.
I used to lease a new truck every three years though my business until I got my '08, but when the lease was up they had quit making them so I bought it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals