• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

IAC valve not working?

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
How do you know?
This started with a CEL and codes 172, 176 and 177. I've worked thru that with RonD and those codes are taken care of to the point that I am no longer receiving those codes.
I still have the same issue. Starts and runs ok when cold. As it warms the idle get erratic and eventually stalls. So I'm chasing vacuum leaks. I've warmed the truck. unplugged the IAC and there is no change in the rpm. Left it unplugged (per RonD in another post) and started unplugging the different vacuum hoses. eadh one resulted in a drop in rpm and an occasional stall.

I've started iti cold and driven for maybe a mile with no real issues. It seems as soon as the engine hits normal operating temp, it starts to lose power and when I hit the accelerator, it bogs down and eventually stalls. Wait about five minutes and all is normal for about five minutes and the cycle repeats.,

Sorry if I am posting this as a new issue. It may be realted to the CEL thingy.

Thanks for any iinput.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
When you unplug the idle air control valve, the rpms should drop very low. Since the don't, either you have air coming in feeding the engine from somewhere else, or someone has messed with the idle stop screw and that needs to be turned back. That would be something you could experiment with. Mark the idle stop screw so you can put it back where it was, and then with the engine running, the IAC unplugged, turn the idle stop screw back. You should be able to make the engine stall by turning the screw back. If it keeps running, you have a lot of air coming in from somewhere else that the engine is using to run on.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals