• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I want everyone's input on adding the 2019+ Ford Ranger to the site

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Tech Library:

Something I've been struggling with is how to add tech info on the 2019+ Ranger to the site. Do I add it to the existing Tech Library, or create a separate Tech Library for the 2019+ Rangers?

Maybe I'm afraid people won't find it.

Forum:

We now have different prefixes in the 4-cylinder forum. Should I add a 2.3 EB or 2.3 EcoBoost prefix and move the conversations about these engines to that forum? Axles to the axle forum, etc....

For some reason I've been struggling with whether or not to mix the new Ranger tech in with the previous models, or separate it.

Please give me your thoughts.....

Speaking of Prefixes:

When we use them, you can quickly sort through a forum by a prefix. So if your in the 4-cylinder forum, you can choose to only look at the 2.0L ('83-'88) if you're only interested in that engine. I didn't combine all of the 6-cylinders in to one forum because it would have been way to busy.

I had considered adding prefixes to the axle forum, but then you wouldn't be thought that it might no be practical if someone wants to talk about a Ford 8.8 and Dana 35 in the same topic, and then there's trying to add a prefix for every axle.....

So far I think I like the idea of the prefixes. If anyone sees a spot in the forum where they could come in handy, please let me know.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I think it should be seperate, its such a diffrent truck and I doubt anything would apply to the older models. There was alot of interchangeable tech back with the older stuff. It really seems like a different model altogether to me, just has the “ranger” name.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I think it should be seperate, its such a diffrent truck and I doubt anything would apply to the older models. There was alot of interchangeable tech back with the older stuff. It really seems like a different model altogether to me, just has the “ranger” name.
That makes a lot of sense. It'll be the same kind of deal with the new Bronco, too.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Seperate it as 2019+ for the above mentioned. Also EcoBoost and Eddie Bauer are abbreviated as EB, so that is confusing too. My $.02

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I agree, a separate section would be best. They should be included, either way.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I think for the tech library... separate. 2011 and older... 2019 and newer. There could be some overlap information though. Is it possible to cross link or share certain sections?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I agree with other inputs on creating a separate tech section for the new Ranger. Its a completely different vehicle nothing even close to the previous models, so it should really have its own place and to keep confusion to a minimum.

Not a fan of the new "Ranger" however, it would be great to have a tech section on it, because well you never know if someone like myself ends up with one in their driveway at some point in the future, having a tech section like we have for the older generations of Rangers and Bronco 2's is a massive help to myself and others so having that for the new Ranger would be awesome. Its weird I love computer & techie type stuff around the house, but its like a totally different opinion with vehicles, the more complex they get the harder it is for me to like any of it...I'm not sure how many of you deal with all that stuff LOL. The simpler the better...that new Ranger is just way too electronic for me which is weird considering my computer & tech knowledge. Keep the 2 "Rangers" separate and it'll keep the tech section cleaner too I think. The 2019+ Rangers have so many things our old ones never had and tech didn't even exist then in the first place type things, so having the 2 separated would be a great clutter and confusion reducer.

As always, TRS is the best forum out there when it comes to getting help with an RBV and the tech section is leaps and bounds above everyone else, as a matter of face no other forum I'm on has a tech & diy section you gotta search through hundreds of thousands of threads in hopes of finding something remotely close to what you are needing.

I'm not saying the new Ranger is bad, its just when the owner's manual is the size of a phone book its a bit much LOL. It would take me 10 years to figure out how to use the radio HAHA!!!! Its new, its expensive, and its just not a Ranger to me LOL. Guess that's what happens when you grow up in the 80's and a "Ranger" was either a 70's full size pickup or an 80's compact pickup and neither were very electronically complex, at least not the 80's and early 90's models.

As always, not my forum, so do how you see fit, but I think separating the 2019's and newer would make a lot more sense in a keep it organized logic. Have a great night.

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I agree with separating it. There's going to be so much going on with the 2019s and up that they deserve their own section for reference and expansion.

romcjr

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2003 & 2019
Make / Model
FORD RANGER XLT
Engine Size
4.0l V6 & 2.3L ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265/75r/16
I agree with above posters . These trucks have same name but are far apart in terms of technology . My .02 . :dntknw:

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
As someone who basically started off on working and building Ford rangers using this site even 10 years ago under a different screen name that I forgot what it was. The best solution I would come up with is an extremely dumbed down version for even some who doesn't use fourms ever or at all to disseminate what type of engine transmission based on year the more sub categories year specific for even the tech library the better

Last edited:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
As someone who basically started off on working and building Ford rangers using this site even 10 years ago under a different screen name that I forgot what it was. The best solution I would come up with is an extremely dumbed down version for even some who doesn't use fourms ever or at all to disseminate what type of engine transmission based on year the more sub categories year specific for even the tech library the better
While I won't disagree with you... I don't believe the tech section was designed as a replacement for a good service manual and wiring diagrams. Dividing it into model year specific information would add a lot of complexities. Not to mention data storage... updating nightmares and the man hours that would be required to basically tear up the existing and put the information back into a newly designed tech section.

But the good news is... there is a chance to build a new tech section. With all the new stuff that is coming in the new Generation Rangers... there is a better chance of keeping things perhaps more model year specific going forward.

So knowing the challenges... Do you think blending the new Gen information into the existing tech section is better then seperating all the new Gen information into a new tech section?

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
While I won't disagree with you... I don't believe the tech section was designed as a replacement for a good service manual and wiring diagrams. Dividing it into model year specific information would add a lot of complexities. Not to mention data storage... updating nightmares and the man hours that would be required to basically tear up the existing and put the information back into a newly designed tech section.

But the good news is... there is a chance to build a new tech section. With all the new stuff that is coming in the new Generation Rangers... there is a better chance of keeping things perhaps more model year specific going forward.

So knowing the challenges... Do you think blending the new Gen information into the existing tech section is better then seperating all the new Gen information into a new tech section?
It's Jims baby but I think it could be spaced out as the new tech stuff comes in it gets its own sub categories. Then it can be evaluated and the guys that moderate can determine along with Jim if an overhaul is necessary. Wait till we get into more 2.3 EcoBoost swaps in older RB's also the older info can be libked to newer stuff.

I have no experience with web design and development but I was just speaking from experience everything Ranger Ive learned was from here. Most of the Dodge stuff ive learned over the years was from Ramchargercentral.com and friends. I was just speaking from experience with these 2 forums the only other fourm ive messed around with was rs25.com but this one has the nicest tech library. The only way to properly describe what im referring to is how advance auto parts had the old computer system when customers were allowed to walk in and use the one computer to look up prices and year specific diagrams. which is what I was trying to say.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I know Jim put this out there to gather feedback from everyone... and just know it didn't fall on deaf ears. The goal is really to consolidate the main forums page a bit (note the prefix tabs applied to the 4cylinder engines... more of that to come) and prepare the site for all the information that will be heading this way.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals