• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I think I have an R/C addiction...

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

WutUp Clegg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
What finally did it for me. I used to fly the choppa in the cul-de-sac in front of my pad. Never thought nothing of it. Then one day, while it was chopping about 30 feet up, one of the servos in the rotor collective gave up the ghost. Thing nose dived straight into the windshield of my 98 Ranger and shattered it something fierce. Kids used to hang around and watch me. Damn lucky it didn't hit one of them. That's it, I QUIT!!

I've done a little bit of everything, including racing scale like Indy cars, boats, including a seven foot long Apache deep vee with three Zenoah engines (Modified liquid cooled chain saw motors) and three stern drives. Done scale boats, including PT boats, destroyers and even two submarines, including a George Washington class ballistic missile submarine. And a WWII German Type 23 submarine. Some of those I wish I had kept. Always wanted to do a large battleship with four motors. Going to retire in the next six months to a year. Will have plenty of time to do exactly that. Likely will be an Iowa class WWII battleship. In the 10 foot range.

Got an old folder full of hard copy pics. I'm 63 now, the pics go back to when I was still in high school. History. The Good Old Days.

Actually built and flew a control-line Convair B-36 Thundering Peacemaker (Magnesium Overcast) in the 80's.

Y'all know I have a white Ford LIGHTNING. For some years I had a Tamiya four wheel drive white Ford Lighting. A minature of my full size one. Got lost in the move from commiefornia to Oklahoma in 2002.
I said the same thing when my plane and chopper crashed. At least when I crash my cars, there are still usable parts left.

Losing your RC sucks. I had a box, of about 6 RC's, turn up missing while moving from Cali to Utah. There must be something about Cali that won't let you take your RC's with you.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Yes I do, but this Ranger is sucking up all my cash. Show that on RCTech.net. You'll get it sold pretty fast. That is a pretty old buggy, but it's in pretty good shape. You might have to drop the price a tad, but who knows...?
Ended up trading it for a gen1 revo with a 6s sidewinder setup this morning 👍

20240601_141115.jpg

Came with a poorly painted & cut hot rod pickup body.. at least it's new lol. It'll look a lot cooler once I get a big whoppin spoiler on it 🙂

Bgunner

Well Known As an Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
The Revo is identical to my Summit but with stronger running gear, single gear Trans and no lockers. They are great bashers and stunt machines. IMO the better of the two for fun factor. I got the Summit because of the exo-cage incase Major stepped on it.

I think you made a great trade with this one. I'm kinda jealous actually. Any 1/10 body should fit it if you choose to change the body. Most chassis and suspension parts are interchangeable between the Summit and Revo but stick with Revo drive train as they are stronger and can handle the S6 power. The Summit drive train will break under that kind of power.

Last edited:

Bgunner

Well Known As an Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
When I last took the Maxx Slash out I went to the old Price Chopper Parking lot. The building was torn down over 25 years ago so the only thing left is light poles, weeds and now traffic cones for the local school bus company to teach new drivers parking and backing up. The lot is full of tiny rocks and they get into my steering causing me not to be able to steer one direction or the other. So I set out online looking for a solution and found only one company making under body covers for this thing but they are so new they have none in stock and I have to wait for them to make it and ship it over seas.

I'm not spending $50 on a screen with Velcro so here is my solution for now. It is in the prototype stage but should work.

20240606_210110.jpg

20240606_210118.jpg

20240606_210127.jpg

20240606_210149.jpg

20240606_210157.jpg

It's made out of a 2L soda bottle, light weight and easy to manipulate. It is held down by all 4 screws for the front brace this way it is secured to the chassis. I had to cut a hole in the main piece because the servo arm raises higher than the servo body, even the brace has a raised area to accommodate this, so with a few pieces of scraps I made a dome to prevent the rocks from falling in the hole and binding the servo. I almost CA glued myself to the dome on 3 occasions but I got'er done.

All that is left is to go there again and see if it works the way I want it to then I can then try to find a better material to make it out of. This is a proof of concept attempt plus it only cost me $0.05 for the bottle and some CA glue. I now need to replenish my glue stash as I'm just about out now.

Bgunner

Well Known As an Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
So a spur of the moment trail drive happened today. I was sitting waiting for the rain to stop, or so I thought, and a friend called said he was going to be in my town dropping off his teenage daughter to hang with one of her friends and asked if I had a battery charged. I usually do so I said "as long as it isn't raining" and looked out the window to find it had stopped, a while ago. So he picked me up on his way through and we hit Florida Road. It runs from Adams up the mountain into the town of Florida. This used to be a dirt road and was never kept up on so now its more suited to hiking and ATV style vehicles. We only made it in about 300-350 feet but took an hour or a little more to go in and back out. As some of you know I don't walk well and it is heading up a mountain so I go slow plus there are many fun spots to crawl that little distance from the road. It was a perfect spot to hit to kill time as his kid did her thing.

20240609_135856.jpg

This is the first time I got this rig out on a trail and not crawling through friends property's and playing in there rock piles.

20240609_135935.jpg

With the added weight, wider stance and a good set of tires I spent less time on my roof than my buddy did. :LOL:

20240609_141348.jpg

My buddy tried his best to get over this rock but alas he gave up and I gave it a go. Nope... I didn't make it either. I did get higher but it was just to slippery with everything being wet from the rain.

20240609_141402.jpg
20240609_141405.jpg
20240609_141407.jpg

On our way out we had to dodge these ancient dinosaurs that seemed to want to stay under the trucks.

20240609_145647.jpg
20240609_145651.jpg

We made it out safely and no orange looking dinosaurs were harmed in the process. :tease:

Last edited:

Bgunner

Well Known As an Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
I really haven't done much as of lately with the R/C's but that changed today.

We are heading out tomorrow morning with a local group on FB to go crawl Florida rd.

Since I hadn't really touched the crawler since my last outing on Florida rd. I cleaned it up and changed the shock oil from 30w to 20w to see if I can get a bit more response out of the shocks especially on semi flat surfaces. In high gear it would hit a bump and the suspension would not move at all. Just a solid bounce with no shock compression. If the 20w doesn't help I'll have to do softer springs.

While I was at it I added a button to be able to turn it on and off from the outside without removing the body. A whole $8 part but makes turning it on and off way easier.

Have a looks see:
20240720_205022.jpg

This little lever allows me to push the button on the ESC from right next to the running boards with the body on. What a finicky thing to install. I had to drill holes for it, as it is a after market thing, but once screwed down it was constantly pushing the button. So I broke out my screw set and put a washer between the switch and the chassis on each screw and it was still pressing the button. A simple loosening of the screws and now it works properly.

On the Summit I did do a good cleaning of it and pulled the motor and cleaned and oiled that.

For the Maxx Slash I have a under body net to install that I will need to modify a little, Mom would be so proud as I will be using my sewing skills on that. I need to cut the edges to fit over the side body holders. Basically they are side bumpers but the body has clips that lock on to it to keep the sides of body from flopping. To keep the material from fraying I need to sew the parts that I cut. I just need to locate my heavy thread that I have somewhere in the house or storage. I bought that stuff for automotive use years ago to use on interiors and heavy ware areas but it should hold up well to the rocks and debris that get thrown by the tires.

Life has gotten in the way of my play time. :LOL: Life needs to go away and just let me play :icon_rofl:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

25th Anniversary Merch

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals